ADS-B/ iPad / stratus/ question?

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.

ADS-B/ iPad / stratus/ question?

Postby InTheAir » Tue May 15, 2012 3:40 pm

I have been considering the ForFlight app for my iPad; it seems to be a great cockpit tool and a great multitasking app. The new Stratus ADS-B receiver also seems like a must have if you are using ForFlight. My question is why can the ADS-B receiver not also display traffic? I thought aircraft position was one of the benefits of ADS-B and if it is then why not have that option available? Educate me please.
InTheAir

Re: ADS-B/ iPad / stratus/ question?

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue May 15, 2012 10:05 pm

I love my foreflight. Here is their official word on the issue for what its worth:

http://blog.foreflight.com/2012/04/01/pings-pucks-and-why-no-traffic-on-stratus/
PilotBillFromTexas

Postby InTheAir » Mon May 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks for the response; hopefully they can start displaying it before 2020.
InTheAir

Postby Traveler » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:30 am

Having owned both the Radarana Sky Radar (combine with WingX and Sky Radar) which displays traffic, and now the Stratus (with ForeFlight) I can say that I don't notice the absence of traffic information at all.

The Stratus is a much better product, better built, easier to use, etc. ForFlight also puts WingX to shame in pretty much every category.
Traveler

Postby AZAir » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:55 pm

ForFlight also puts WingX to shame in pretty much every category.

So how does FF not having "Trackup", terrain or ZAON Traffic support put WingX to shame ?

Feature wise WingX is the better product, if you want an app that under delivers but looks "pretty" then stick with FF.

All you FF boys are all getting exciting about having ADS-B Weather, which has been on WingX for over 14 months before FF.

Again, where is the shame ?

FF
AZAir

Postby Traveler » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 am

I used the WingX/SkyRadar solution for a while. The problems with WingX that I experienced are as follow:

Traffic data link lost +/- 70% of the time
App crashes (iPad 2 and iPad 3) midflight
NEXTRAD update stops with no indication
Zoom level on charts isn't enough to see complex airspace
Feature overload leads to difficulty when looking for something specific
Split screen mode causes GPS to fail

These were just a few that I emailed into them, they were rude and dismissive. I am so pleased that ForeFlight has weather in, so far my experience with the Stratus has been great, the app is stable, the device works, the calculations are accurate. Its just a much more confidence inspiring experience.
Traveler

Postby AZAir » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:43 pm

>> Traffic data link lost +/- 70% of the time
I have never had any data link lost in the 4 months that I have been using this combo - solid performance 100% of the time - maybe your serialio adapter has a fault

>>App crashes (iPad 2 and iPad 3) midflight
Never had this issue - like all apps they will crash but nothing a good reboot or killing all the other background apps cant cure. You saying that FF has never crashed ?

>> NEXTRAD update stops with no indication
Only used this once with a friends SkyRadar box with no issue but as I said, used only once but will report when mine arrives

>> Zoom level on charts isn't enough to see complex airspace
Have not seen this issue since version 5.something - I know FF is clearer with the recently releases but I have to say, the zoom levels in WingX, personally I see nothing wrong with them.

>>Feature overload leads to difficulty when looking for something specific
100% disagree - there is nothing in WingX that takes you more that 2 to 3 seconds to access

>>Split screen mode causes GPS to fail
Using internal iPad GPS with split screen, 1 side displaying sectionals, the other terrain - never an issue.

I will say that limiting WingX to just the SkyRadar is a bit of a disappoint but these new Clarity ADS-B receivers look interesting, GPS, Weather and AHRS for the SV that WingX offers.
AZAir

Return to Flight Gear