headsets

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
aj042599

headsets

Postby aj042599 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Okay I'm a new student pilot (emphasis on the new) and am looking for a headset. It's a bit overwhelming with all of the choices out there. My only requirement is that I want something comfortable and reasonably affordable. I currently use a middle of the road David Clark at my job as a firefighter and that set feels fairly comfortable. I've used other headsets in the past that become very uncomfortable after a 1/2 hour of use. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aaron B.
Elk Grove, Ca
E27 (I think)

Rockdog

Re: headsets

Postby Rockdog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:38 pm

A budget range would be helpful. Otherwise someone is going to just say Bose!!

kellyrw

Postby kellyrw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:03 pm

I agree with Rockdog about the budget, but when it comes to my hearing, comfort and safety, the budget wasn't a concern. I bought the Bose after my 2nd lesson, just wasn't able to hear my instructor to my satisfaction and an hour or so in the 150 wore me out. Best $1000 bucks I've spent, although I bought my wife a pair of Lightspeed Zulu's($850) and I have to say I think they're a bit more comfortable. But I wear the Bose for 2 and 3 hour x-country and hardly know they are there. I have Lightspeed Q Solo for my passengers (I'll save a buck where I can) and they are pretty comfortable but not ANR. I'll be upgrading the backseat headsets to Zulu's in the near future, for my passengers comfort. Not being able to be fully involved in conversations or hear the music surely detracts from my passengers enjoyment. Good luck, there are a whole lot of plethora of choices.

txpilot82

Postby txpilot82 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:05 pm

I used David Clark's up until last year. Clark's are great quality but got uncomfortable after a couple of hours on my round head. I bought a Lightspeed Thirty 3G and love them! Fits excellent on my head and the ANR works well in my environment. Lightspeed has won a customer for life. I plan on upgrading to Zulu's sometime soon and giving my wife the 3G's.

Is there anyone you can borrow a pair from to try out? I know it's hard to shell out so much money on something you've only seen in pictures. The more brands you can try the better.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:59 pm

While I agree in principle with the idea that protecting my hearing is worth whatever it costs, the reality is that I still use a pair of fairly old Flightcom headsets. No active noise reduction.

I certainly like the active noise reduction ones when I get to use them, I've always felt that I can do a lot of flying for the ~$1,000 they would cost me. So I stick with my old reliables. In the airplanes I fly, I find them to be more than satisfactory.

-- Jack

Pitfield

Postby Pitfield » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 am

I used David Clarks but they'd bother me after about an hour. I've switched to Clarity Aloft and can't recommend with sufficient enthusiasm. The sound is great and they're super comfortable.

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Hear hear
Couldn't agree more, love mine. Light, comfortable, good sound protection, and no one wants to borrow them. Replacement pack of ear tips is reasonable and necessary.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

rcigliano

Postby rcigliano » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:07 pm

I use David Clark H10-13.4. Not too expensive and does the trick. So far they have been very comfortable (I use the gel ear seals.) and I have had no issues with them.

Since you are a new pilot, I would recommend that you tryout different ones (the flight school should have some to borrow) to see which ones you like. Also, look on ebay. You probably can get a gently used one cheaper than buying it from an aviation supply catalog.
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:00 am

Pitfield wrote:I used David Clarks but they'd bother me after about an hour. I've switched to Clarity Aloft and can't recommend with sufficient enthusiasm. The sound is great and they're super comfortable.

Pitfield is right on. I picked up a Clarity Aloft headset at OSH this year and my two Bose X are now for passengers only. I love them!

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:41 pm

True believers, me too.
carry extra foam tips, need them from time to time.
and no one asks to borrow!
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Flight Gear”