Approach Plates on the iPad.... Anyone? Anyone?

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
dcfly

Approach Plates on the iPad.... Anyone? Anyone?

Postby dcfly » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:22 pm

If Foreflight offers it, I'm so there.....

Even better if we can just load the pdf files from the free download....
Tiger N28244
G-ADIZ-burg, MD (KGAI)

koehn

Re: Approach Plates on the iPad.... Anyone? Anyone?

Postby koehn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Imagine adding a WAAS GPS and ADS-B device via BlueTooth. You'd get precision approaches, realtime traffic and weather.

randyc

Postby randyc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Probably won't be long until at least the charts are available. This thing should be big enough to load enroute charts and sectionals as well.

radenna

Postby radenna » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 pm

We already have WAAS GPS and ADS-B device via WiFi, check http://www.radenna.com, works great. ADS-B actually requires significant bandwidth (about 900kbps decoded) and Bluetooth will be struggling to provide it reliably.
I doubt you will see Bluetooth devices, because Apple Bluetooth is very closed. Manufacturers need to be on the special program with Apple to design custom Bluetooth devices.

Approach plates coming on our iPad software version.

koehn wrote:Imagine adding a WAAS GPS and ADS-B device via BlueTooth. You'd get precision approaches, realtime traffic and weather.
[/quote]

John

Postby John » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Approach plates are already available for the iPhone.
(1) PDFplates are available for free download and are compatible.
(2) ForeFlight 3.0 has downloadable approach plates and also provides charts (sectional & IFR enroute)

These are of limited utility when used with the small iPhone screen. The larger iPad screen should be just about perfect.

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 am

radenna wrote:I doubt you will see Bluetooth devices, because Apple Bluetooth is very closed. Manufacturers need to be on the special program with Apple to design custom Bluetooth devices.

I just hope that they get at least one program that allows XM Weather into an app via BT. I can currently push it into either my ATC or Q1 running ChartCase Pro, but I would love an excuse to purchase an iPad - especially if its "Assisted GPS" will permit true GPS operation. This doesn't look like it will be initially available on all iPad models, and I think it is essential for EFB use.

As a sidebar - I've been using my Q1/ChartCase Pro since early 2007, and have to disagree with some electronic charting comments made on a recent UCAP podcast regarding its less than perfect utility. Although I usually have paper backups of approach plates, they have always been most useful for the notes on the blank backside. The computer is very quick to show me any navigational depiction (IAP, Sectional, IFR Enroute, etc.) that I've asked of it. And my program also has both planning and an in-flight modes, so it is great both at home and on the road. And now that I've recently added weather, it will be hard to justify an iPad for the plane - but I still want one. :-)
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

Warren

Postby Warren » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:45 am

As soon as i saw that thing the ONLY useful application that came to mind was reading charts or maybe even loading some GPS/live weather software on there :). I'm sure there will be ways to work around apples restrictions, the same way you can "jailbreak" and iPhone. After all it IS just a giant iTouch.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:22 am

One thing I keep reminding myself when thinking about the iPad, is that historically Apple has shipped devices that are pretty limited-restricted-notopen in their first version. But by the time a year or so has passed it has been opened up to a much wider range of uses.

Admittedly, they've recently left in more limits than I'm happy with, but, ah, well.

-- Jack

hunter

Postby hunter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Well until the aviation community cracks into the iPad and gets something awesome going, I don't think I'll be getting it. Well, until the price comes down :D.

I have the iPhone and Foreflight, along with some other apps for E6B, AFD, FAR/AIM, Checklists, Logbook. Paired with the "Thighphone": http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/14376 , the iPhone has proved itself very useful to me in the cockpit.

That being said, I do have high hopes for the iPad, as Jack said, in a year or so...
As UCAP has taught me: "Time spent flying is not subtracted from your lifespan".

dansmusicuk1

Postby dansmusicuk1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 am

Hello Aviators
On my Ipad (wifi) no approach plates yet, but i do use quite a few aviation apps.

AOPA Airports
Memory map with the CAA charts as a moving map with an external GPS
AirNav
Air Check
Aero Weather
Met Office
MyE6B
PilotWizPro
LogTen Pro

Nuttin really for IFR yet.... But pilot whiz pro has some good stuff for working holding patterns.

Dan G
(in the UK)
Flying G-BOIV at EGSJ Seething

Return to “Flight Gear”