Handheld question

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
ruckin

Handheld question

Postby ruckin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:32 pm

I am trying to to not ask the normal "which one should I get" question... I was looking at getting a simple handheld that would be useful as a student pilot/wannabe. I don't need the NAV functionality or other fancy features. I did notice that most of the radios have lots of memories. In the amateur radio world it is common to be able to buy a programming cable/software to program the radio/memories. It is quite handy if you are going on a trip being able to reprogram the radio for the new frequencies then return it to its "normal" state when you get back. I see that the icom has a cloning cable but it appears that it is just used between two radios.

So I guess my first question is do people use large numbers of memories or do people just directly punch in the frequencies via the number pad? And if the memories are useful do any of them have an accessory cable that can connect the radio to the computer so the memories can be programmed and/or managed?

Thanks in advance
Ruckin.

champguy

Re: Handheld question

Postby champguy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 pm

I've found it easier to just punch in the frequency rather than to switch to memory mode then search for what you want. If it had a simple standby frequency and a a one touch flip flop you cold put in tower and ground ahead of time, but otherwise too much button pushing when your head should be outside the cockpit.
You have to double check the frequency somewhere else anywhere so you might as well just enter it in the normal mode.
But that is just me, others might be more comfortable playing with the inner workings of "game boy" gizmos while flying.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Sven

Postby Sven » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Punching in the numbers works great for me. I've tried both ways and agree that searching for what you need is a bit more tedious. I bring it on board as a backup. This came in handy last week when I experienced my first (and hopefully last) electrical failure. I was able to raise the tower and avoid the light gun signals with the handheld. Always bring it as a backup is my advice.
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:18 pm

I just purchased a IC-A24. I love it. It has some many memory channels, but, I only use 4. I only put a few in the memory banks and those are the ones I frequently am using. Its easy to find them in the memory bank because there are only 4 channels programmed. I have a turn knob at the top that allows me to cycle through all the VHF channels. You just turn till you find your frequency then you can transmit and recieve right on that configuation. I am more of a look it up, punch it in, get it done sort of guy. Not to much for the whole memory thing due to the difficulty of navigating the memory banks.
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

ruckin

Postby ruckin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks for the input. I will stop looking for ease of programming memories and go with buttons that are easy to punch in the frequencies.

Ruckin

Return to “Flight Gear”