Headsets for little kids

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
ebrendan

Headsets for little kids

Postby ebrendan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:22 am

Hello everyone.
I want to get my four-year old son a headset and was wondering if anyone has experience with either the Sigtronics or David Clark youth headsets.

This summer I, along with his grandfather (also a pilot), plan to take him on his very first GA flight... Big day.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you in advance.
Brendan Reynolds
Pilot, KFRG Farmingdale NY

DJTorrente

Re: Headsets for little kids

Postby DJTorrente » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Brendan,

My daughter likes her 'airplane ears'. When she was 2 (now 5), we bought her this model (http://www.pilot-usa.com/pa1151a.htm) in pink - her favorite color :) . It has a built in 3.5mm audio jack to connect to her portable DVD for in-flight movies.

About a year ago I bought simple passive ear muffs (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/pel ... muffs.html) for my son (now 20 mo.). They worked well for him last season, but this past weekend was our first family outing of this season, and being older he would not keep them or foam plugs on/in his ears. I think that is just a behavior thing though, and I'd stick with hearing protection only again until they are 6-7 yo. In practice, I don't connect the mic plug on my daughter's headset - she can hear us, but can't break intercom VOX by babbling and admit the background noise.

I'm in Western Nassau and fly out of HWV. PM me if you'd like to try what I have on for size.

-DJT
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

ebrendan

Postby ebrendan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Interesting... I assumed the only mic transmitting on the frequency was the one being keyed. But if you key the mic and a passenger is talking, their background noise is transmitted? That makes sense, I just never thought of it.

Thanks for the input and offer for a test-drive. I may take you up on that.
Brendan Reynolds
Pilot, KFRG Farmingdale NY

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Sat May 01, 2010 10:11 pm

My wife uses the David Clark youth set and likes them - except for the messed up hairdo thing.

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Mon May 03, 2010 12:39 pm

ebrendan wrote:Interesting... I assumed the only mic transmitting on the frequency was the one being keyed. But if you key the mic and a passenger is talking, their background noise is transmitted? That makes sense, I just never thought of it.

My issue is not so much with anything she says getting out over the air. Honestly I don't know whether the PTT only opens that position's mic to transmit or if it transmits anything on the intercom audio at the time. In any case, I can always isolate myself via the intercom switch before talking to ATC. Its odd that in the club plane I fly I notice better noise cancellation in what goes out over the air on when I hit the PTT switch.

What bothers me a bit is that once the mic is open, anything that particular mic 'hears' in gets in, including background noise not cancelled. The headsets I'm using have basic noise cancelling mics, which is fairly old technology, and while I'm sure it helps, it isn't perfect. With the plane I fly, and the basic headsets I use, with its 4-place intercom system, I find it tiring to to have a casual conversation in-flight over the background noise, which I bought the headsets to eliminate. Chatter tends to be limited more than I'd like, and a cross-country family outing by air is oddly solitary.

Honestly, If anyone has any suggestions for improving the situation, I'd love to hear them.

ebrendan wrote:Thanks for the input and offer for a test-drive. I may take you up on that.

I'd be happy to. You going to ISP for the Mid-Island Open House May 15th?

-DJT
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

LNSflyer

Postby LNSflyer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:11 am

ebrendan wrote:Hello everyone.
I want to get my four-year old son a headset and was wondering if anyone has experience with either the Sigtronics or David Clark youth headsets.

This summer I, along with his grandfather (also a pilot), plan to take him on his very first GA flight... Big day.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you in advance.

Get the Sigtronics S-40. Thats what my dad got me when i turned 7. 8 years later, it still works great.
Student Pilot flying an Evektor SportStar out of KLNS.

Return to “Flight Gear”