Early Pirep: Anywhere Map Quadra GPS

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
PropFan

Early Pirep: Anywhere Map Quadra GPS

Postby PropFan » Fri May 14, 2010 4:23 pm

I've had a chance to use my new Quadra for a couple of weeks now, and overall I'm impressed with its functionality and performance. Unfortunately, the units weren't ready for prime time as shipped, and they came with more than a few bugs. Given that one of the unit's most highly touted features is the ability to obtain updates wirelessly, it was more than a little surprising to find that the units cannot connect with WPA-secured WiFi networks. They do, however, seem to connect reliably with unsecured and WEP networks. The company has promised a fix as early as next week. Oddly enough, you cannot (yet) update the unit via direct USB connection. Battery life is quite a bit less than claimed, and, as always, one wishes for a brighter screen in direct daylight. The Quadra is signficantly less expensive than the Garmin Aera variants, both in terms of initial cost and annual updates. The yoke mount and the automotive mount, both included in the purchase price, are very good. You'll want to purchase a screen protector (available for $20 in two-packs). The protective film that comes with the unit is just for protection during shipping. You also might want to get a second power adapter ($25) that you can leave in the aircraft.

In the interest of keeping this relatively short, I won't go into any more detail here. I just thought I would share my generally favorable impression with those who might be in the market for a GPS. You can learn more about the Quadra here: http://www.anywheremap.com and download a copy of the manual here: http://www.anywheremap.com/quadra. My unit is just the "basic" version: no sectional charts, plates or weather.

champguy

Re: Early Pirep: Anywhere Map Quadra GPS

Postby champguy » Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks for the report. It is a unit I have been eyeing as a step up from my Lowrance 600C which is currently serving well and does have airport diagrams and info but not enough to eliminate the need for Flight Guide. It also eats batterys and must be pluged into an auxiliary power source to get you home.
Give us another update in a while as you learn more and get further experience with it.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Sat May 15, 2010 6:55 pm

I had a chance to use the Taxi Express feature at my home airport yesterday. On arrival at your destination airport, you have the option to bring up a detailed airport diagram that allows you to track your progress along various taxiways. Worked great. Very nice feature. Probably much like Garmin's Safe Taxi (which, I believe, is not available on the lower-end Aera 500 and 510).

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:32 am

PropFan, I'm an ATC user who has been looking at the Quadra as a potential upgrade item. I'm very interested in the hardware, as it appears you were from your thread on the AWM boards ( http://forum.anywheremap.net/viewtopic. ... are#p35538 ). I have spent some time looking at the product that CV said is NOT it, but it does look like a dead ringer. There aren't many pictures posted of the Quadra to compare, but I have found some of the N800 here ( http://www.wayteq.hu/index.php?article=176#gallery ). If you have a chance to compare yours to these pictures and tell me if the card locations, power button, etc., are in the same locations I would appreciate it. I've also seen where this hardware is about $235USD elsewhere, but that isn't with the AWM software. I was able to make a perfect backup copy of the ATC from a used iPaq 310 I got off of eBay for well less than $100, as is allowed by the AWM EULA, but that is another topic.

Glad the Quadra is working for you, and the ATC works fairly well for me, but it is definitely a backup piece of hardware to my panel mounted Garmins and my FlightPrep/Samsung Q1 EFB.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Joe, I guess I have to accept Control Vision's denial at face value, but my Quadra matches the pictures of the WayteQ N800 down to the smallest detail. Plus, the dimensions are precisely the same. I suppose there could be internal differences that render the N800 incompatible with the ATC software.

By the way, WPA WiFi functionality is now in place. Still waiting on the ability to do updates via USB-PC connection. CV has promised that soon. I've now flown a few short cross-countries with the Quadra, and I've been very pleased with its performance and features. CV released an update that changed the screen background color for day VFR, and that resulted in an incremental improvement in screen visibility in bright light. Meager battery life is my main quibble now.

champguy

Postby champguy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 pm

All of these newer devices with color and moving maps need either an electrical system to plug into or a rechargable battery pack, 4 amp/hrs or better. The portable car starters work well and some have cirarette lighters built in.
This is progress?
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 am

Battery life is definitely the hobgoblin of all these devices. The "DC Power Configurator" (no, really, that's the name, but most of us call it a cigarette adapter) works well in the plane, but it's another wire to route around the flap handle and the yoke. I broke down and purchased the UPower Battery Backup http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=257 to use while the unit is powered up on the ramp and as an emergency power source. It, too, works well, but the PRICE. Ugh.

As a newbie GPS owner, I'm in love with the unit's functionality, but it has also reminded me of the need to keep my pilotage skills up to date. I can already see that it's way too easy to get lazy, both in the planning stage and en route.

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:52 am

Joe, I guess I have to accept Control Vision's denial at face value, but my Quadra matches the pictures of the WayteQ N800 down to the smallest detail. Plus, the dimensions are precisely the same. I suppose there could be internal differences that render the N800 incompatible with the ATC software.

PropFan, thanks for checking, and I tend to agree with your statement that there could be internal differences that would embolden CV to say that it is a different product. They said similar things about the ATC being substantially different from the HP iPaq310. But by establishing a root-user account on a Mac to bypass all file/folder permissions, and creating an image of my ATC harddrive, I was able to then copy it to an off the shelf iPaq310 and it was then indistinguishable from the original. Let me be clear in pointing out that the ATC clearly states that the software can be transferred to a second unit as a backup, so I did not do anything illegal.

Just from the standpoint of, "can it be done," I would be very interested to see if the same holds true for the Quadra. The tough part would be getting a WayteQ N900, but I have friends in Europe that I could have order it for me. Let me know if you would like a backup unit. :-)
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

Return to “Flight Gear”