iPhone Attitude Indicator using gyros

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
ph-bjb

iPhone Attitude Indicator using gyros

Postby ph-bjb » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi,

I wanted to point people to a new app for iPhone4 that uses the gyroscope to show an Attitude Indicator, and combines this with airspeed, altitude, heading, vertical speed and rate of turn on a 'glass cockpit' display. It also shows your position relative to a nearby airport, which is quite handy when you have to report your approximate position to ATC.

As far as I know, previous attempts at this have used the accelerometer (which will show you level in a coordinated turn!) or have not tweaked the gyros enough to provide usable and reliable attitude indication. This app has sensor calibration and auto-level functionality to make it work. Calibrate the phone just before flight, tap the center of the Attitude Indicator to level, and from then on the app knows how to correct for the precession in the digital gyro sensors.

Check it out in the iTunes app store at itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flight-instruments/id390596737?mt=8, or on http://www.bbflight.com, and let me know what you think.

MrSparkle

Re: iPhone Attitude Indicator using gyros

Postby MrSparkle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:36 am

Just bought it and I am now wondering if there are panel/yoke mounts available? Also curious how this app compares with Air Nav Pro. I guess I'll have to go flying and find out.

ph-bjb

Postby ph-bjb » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 am

I use it with a $7 suction cup mount from Target, and that works fine. Mounting on the yoke will not work, as when you turn your yoke you will bank your AI! I don't have AirNav but from what I understand they focus on the charts and don't have gyro attitude or the 'glass cockpit' display that Flight Instruments has.

squawk7500

Postby squawk7500 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm sure this is FAA approved :D
Tom Freundl
PP - ASEL / HP
Advanced Scout & Anti-Terrorist Security Patrol

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qka8g65IuM"]My Kids First Flight - Father's Day 2010[/url]

ph-bjb

Postby ph-bjb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:37 am

You mean the suction cup? :) No, the app is not FAA approved, but neither is your handheld Garmin GPS yet it's nice to have ;)

Return to “Flight Gear”