Lowrance airmap 100 for $10. Hackable score?

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
BudgetFreePilot

Lowrance airmap 100 for $10. Hackable score?

Postby BudgetFreePilot » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:25 pm

It's been a good week. I picked up a like new set of David Clark H10-13.4 headphones with upgraded gels off Craigslist for $125.00. Then I snagged a Sportys JD-200 Nav/Com radio for $100.00 off of Ebay. Okay, so I'm trolling Ebay, (cause I think I'm on a roll) and I come across this Lowrance airmap 100 GPS, which looks pretty ancient but I'm a scavenger so I drop a $10 bid on it before I do any research. Wouldn't you know it, I won. So now, it's being shipped to me and when I google it, it appears to be even older than GPS technology itself. Talk about woeful obsolescence.

So, my question is, what, if anything, can I do with this thing? Can I hack it and re-purpose it? Should I let my curious 14 year old "explore" it or is it destined for the dead appliance remote box in my shed?

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Lowrance airmap 100 for $10. Hackable score?

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:13 am

Is it really a GPS? Lowrance was a popular loran device.

If it's loran then it will make a really neat paperweight.

If it's GPS, well I don't know, depends on lots of things. Does it have a database in it that is at all up to date? Can the GPS coords be output to another device?

// Jack

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:15 am

OK apparently the Lowrance airmap 100 is (was) a GPS device. But it seems to be long out of date.

Might be fun to mount in a car or on a bicycle. I'd be real cautious about using it in an airplane, at least where I needed real navigation help.

// Jack

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:53 pm

If it gives a position and has a database of airports, it might be usefull. It depends on the type of flying you want to do. I've made many long cross countries with a Magellan 315 that just gave direction, time, and distance to the airport.
But each time I've upgraded, I couldn't possibly go back.
With technology, when you start to find yourself head down punching buttons on climb out, you have gone too far.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

BudgetFreePilot

Postby BudgetFreePilot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:31 pm

champguy wrote:If it gives a position and has a database of airports, it might be usefull. It depends on the type of flying you want to do. I've made many long cross countries with a Magellan 315 that just gave direction, time, and distance to the airport.
With technology, when you start to find yourself head down punching buttons on climb out, you have gone too far.

I'm not exactly sure how up to date the information is in the Airmap 100, but it does have a cool "NEAREST" feature that shows a list of the twenty nearest airports, VORs, NDBs, intersections or user waypoints to my present position. The last update on this thing is dated 2002, so I'm not exactly sure how accurate the location of the found waypoints are. I suppose I could hop in my car and find out. If it's ballpark accurate, I'll throw it in my flight bag and goof with it while I'm flying with my co-worker. He might be able to confirm any possibility of accuracy(or inaccuracy)

Pretty cool for $10 & shipping. This thing probably kicked butt maybe 10 years ago, or maybe I'm just easily impressed.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:20 pm

champguy wrote:If it gives a position and has a database of airports, it might be usefull. It depends on the type of flying you want to do. I've made many long cross countries with a Magellan 315 that just gave direction, time, and distance to the airport.

But, that's funny. I used to use a Garmin that was meant for hiking that had all of the airports in the database and just gave bearing and distance to the station. I never fumbled with it and always knew exactly where I was all of the time because I used it with a sectional. With the Garmin 496 I sometimes find myself sliding back down the learning curve because what I want is buried in some menu that I don't remember how to get to. I sometimes confuse the panel mounted gps menus with the yoke mounted 496 menus. I also fly other airplanes with similar but different menu pages.

The 496 and the satelite data feeds that give it the mojo are really wonderful but, you really have to keep using them to stay proficient. Last weekend, for example I flew our plane and I found myself fumbling with the 496 just trying to do something simple. So, I got out the manual and refreshed myself. Then today I spent a couple of hours sitting in the plane on the ground playing with it. Total study and play time probably about 4 hours. YMMV.

If you are using the airmap 100 together with a sectional and an AFD for vfr flying then it is probably useful. I would ignore any of the frequency data or anything else that might change over time. But, if it gives heading, track, distance and groundspeed then it was probably $10 well spent.

BudgetFreePilot

Postby BudgetFreePilot » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:56 pm

The Airmap 100 "navigated" to two airports with no problem. The distance and vector matched my Garmin car GPS but the ground speed was consistently 5mph slower than my car speedometer. Good deal, man. It's going in my flight bag.

Landis

Postby Landis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

BudgetFreePilot wrote:The distance and vector matched my Garmin car GPS but the ground speed was consistently 5mph slower than my car speedometer.

You sure that the 100 isn't showing you knots? That would account for the difference.

When you enter in the waypoint to navigate, verify that the distance is reasonable (not 3,000 miles off or so) and keep looking outside. The actual signals haven't changed so your Lowrance Airmap 100 should be just as good now as it was then - for VFR, eyes-outside-the-plane flying.

Good find - Have fun!

Return to “Flight Gear”