Android Apps?

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
LNSflyer

Android Apps?

Postby LNSflyer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:28 am

Are there any good aviation apps for Android? I just got a new Droid 3 (which I love!) and have been looking for decent aviation apps but have had little luck. Any suggestions?
Student Pilot flying an Evektor SportStar out of KLNS.

SkiandflyUtah

Re: Android Apps?

Postby SkiandflyUtah » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 pm

From my limited perspective, I use AirWX for a quick destination weather check at the hangar before flight but that's about it.

Was hoping the Android Foreflight app would be good but a quick read of the comments prior to downloading steered me clear...Android apps have been slow in developing, hopefully that will improve.

Scofreyjet

Re: Android Apps?

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I am not making a lot of use of my Droid X for aviation, but the products I do use are:

Pilot My-Cast (Garmin) - strong point so far was its synchronization with flyGarmin, so that I could add airplanes (I'm a renter) through the web interface and have them be available on the phone app. Flight Planning (and filing), Weather, and AOPA Airports info are good enough, but not comparable to Foreflight or the iPhone/Pad version of Pilot My-Cast. I spoke with the product manager at AOPA Summit last month, and the next major release should be bringing the Android version up to par with the iPhone/Pad version.

Sporty's E6B app - What you'd expect. All of the functionality of Sporty's latest-model electronic E6B, but on your Droid device

QuickWeather (Avilution) - I like this app. The home screen is a list of airport weather status (METAR-level) displays, condensed so that you can see a bunch on one screen, but using visual cues - symbology and color codes - to help you see a trouble spot or a trend if (for example) you've set it up with all of the airports along your route, and alternates. Click on any of the airports, and you've got a complete weather briefing with METAR, TAF, NOTAMS, Progs, Radar, Satellite, etc. It is really optimized for a phone-sized screen and is very effective on my Droid X.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Return to “Flight Gear”