Aviation Apps exclusive to Ipad?

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
BudgetFreePilot

Aviation Apps exclusive to Ipad?

Postby BudgetFreePilot » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:55 am

I recently purchased an EXOPC SLATE tablet that runs full Windows 7 home premium. It's bigger than an Ipad (11.6" screen)and has USB and HDMI ports as well as other potential for peripherals. Question: Are aviation apps exclusive to the Ipad? Did any of these aviation tools exist prior to the invention of the Ipad and if so, in what platform? I didn't buy the tablet for aviation. I'm just curious if there are non Apple moving map or "Foreflight" type programs I can buy for Windows.

LNSflyer

Re: Aviation Apps exclusive to Ipad?

Postby LNSflyer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:28 pm

My dad has ForeFlight for his iPad and absolutely loves it. I'm not sure if those apps are exclusively for iPads. Usually they are made to adapt for different platforms, as foreflight is with Apple and Android.
Student Pilot flying an Evektor SportStar out of KLNS.

baswell

Postby baswell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 pm

There are definitely some PC flight planners out there that will also do moving maps, etc. Look for those.

But all new ones, like ForeFlight are exclusive to iPad, yes.

pevend

Postby pevend » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm

I read somewhere that it is a LOT easier for developers to write apps for the ipad or iphone than for android or Windows systems because there is only one version of the ipad/iphone hardware and software to worry about; if the app works, it works on any ipad or iphone. Android and Windows work on multiple different hardware platforms and each hardware maufacturer can tweak the operating system to work better with its system, so just because an app works on a Samsung tablet doesn't mean it will work on a Motorola or Sony system. It's a lot safer for the developer to confine him/herself to the ipad/iphone market, especially if you are creating apps that people can use to kill themselves if they screw up.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:46 pm

pevend,

I've also heard that the Android app store is not very developer friendly. I don't know the details, but I've heard that it's really hard for developers to make any significant money/sales there. BWTFDIK

// Jack

baswell

Postby baswell » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Jack: things are getting better in the Android Market now, so my friends who have ported their apps to it tell me.

Also: in these early stages, these apps are "killer apps", that is to say people buy hardware specifically to run these apps. So not much point in porting them to a different platform right now as most pilots have not bought any tablet yet.

plutocrat03

Postby plutocrat03 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Flitesoft is a product that will run on a Windows tablet. It also has an option to provide a moving map.

They seem to be good people.

Return to “Flight Gear”