Keep Your Cool....The Artic Air Low Cost Answer

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
topilot

Keep Your Cool....The Artic Air Low Cost Answer

Postby topilot » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 am

Just purchased an Artic Air unit for anticipation of summer flying in Florida. At first blush it looks like a picnic cooler, but if it performs like the reviews have implied I will be a happy pilot. After some heavy duty use, I will issue some feedback to the virtual hanger vistors.

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Keep Your Cool....The Artic Air Low Cost Answer

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 pm

One of the guys from the DFWPilots forums built one last year from parts using the Artic Air as his inspiration. He had it in his truck last summer when I saw it. He seems pretty happy with it. It seemed to work okay. I'd imagine that it's probably worth the extra weight in the plane on really hot days. The rest of the year it can just sit in your hangar as opposed to factory air units which are really expensive and you have to lug them around all year long and you can't use it in your car or another plane.

The guy that I met who uses this thing uses a battery booster device in the plane (more weight) so that he can be cooling the cabin while doing the preflight without draining the airplane battery. I suppose that you could leave it in the hanger after starting the engine.

http://www.dfwpilots.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3017

Here's a link to another redneck air conditioner but, it doesn't look like the one that I saw.

http://www.psprang.blogspot.com

topilot

Postby topilot » Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am

Hey, great photos and description of the Redneck version of the Artic Air version. Also, it is a great idea to put a portable 12 v unit in the plane so as not to drain the battery while preflighting. I will probably purchase one to use. I will report later on how well it all works as it is getting really hot now in Florida. This week I have a student taking a check ride and he wants to use it to keep him cool and calm for the examiner.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue May 06, 2008 11:37 pm

topilot wrote: Also, it is a great idea to put a portable 12 v unit in the plane so as not to drain the battery while preflighting.

I just heard the last two podcasts. On one Jeb and Amy were talking about their Garmin GPSs and how the Garmin GPS sometimes get Alzheimer's and forgets who and where they are. I was thinking that the portable 12v battery device might be a simple solution for that as well. I would think that plugging into a battery between the GPS or any electronic gadget and the airplane's electric system would help smooth out the power being delivered to the sensitive electronics.

topilot

Postby topilot » Fri May 16, 2008 9:33 am

Now that it is getting hot in Florida, the inspiration to provide feedback on the Artic Air will begin. Yeh, it does seem to provide nice cool air with minimum setup fuss. It actually provides some relief from startup, even in the larger cabin of a PA-34, but the builtin cooling fan seems to be a little loud. When wearing ANR headsets, however, the noise level seems non existant. I will provide more feedback as we get more into the summer season. So far, so good!

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri May 16, 2008 10:32 am

I was in Naples, FL this past week. One observation that I made was that this area is much more humid than north Texas where the other folks using artic coolers that I know of are based. One thing that would concern me is the affect that blowing cool moist air into a cabin that already has fairly saturated air in it would have on the electronics and other metal parts in the long-term.

topilot

Postby topilot » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:59 pm

I got tired of moving the ArcticAir unit from plane to plane on a daily basis, so decided to put it up on eBay for bidding. It is like new and is a great buy for pilots wanting a simple and cheap solution to cooling off the cockpit. Check out eBay in the pilot gear section if you want to see how cheap it sells for. My feedback is 100% positive and will answer any questions you might have. Hey, Jeb, this is a natural for you in Sarasota this time of year!!!

Return to “Flight Gear”