Polarized Sunglasses

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
davidsflying

Polarized Sunglasses

Postby davidsflying » Tue May 01, 2012 2:31 pm

I ordered a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses with prescription lenses for use while flying. The lenses I got originally had no polarization but there was a colour distortion (brown / red hue despite being a grey lens) so I brought them back. They sent them to the lab and they said that was because of the anti scratch / UV coatings etc. which are made for use with polarization.

They said there is a special polarization where it's only done on the backside of the lens which makes it compatible for use by pilots as it doesn't distort LCD screens etc. Does anyone know anything about this? Would that be suitable for flying or should I be concerned about not seeing reflections from other traffic in the air etc.?

Any input is much appreciated, thanks!

Laminar

Re: Polarized Sunglasses

Postby Laminar » Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 pm

This topic is very subjective, and you should form your own personal opinion. People who favor polarized sunglasses are happy with the neutral grey color, the darker shade, and the glare reduction. They are willing to put up with the weird behavior while looking at LCDs. Those who favor the orange/yellow sunglasses cite enhanced contrast and no weird behavior.

Polarized lenses can give you trouble with LCDs, and I am aware of no way around this, other than tilting your head.

-Rick

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 am

In addition to the problems with LCD screen viewing, a common belief seems to be that polarized lenses can prevent you from seeing the of light reflection from traffic you're trying to spot. I flew with polarized prescription lenses for quite a while before I got my non-polarized Scheyden's, but I can't say if it ever made a difference when spotting traffic. I will say I don't miss the annoying effects encountered when viewing LCD screens with polarized lenses.

One case where I have heard polarized lenses recommended for pilots was related to seaplane flying, where being able to see objects submerged just below the water's surface is considered to be a "good thing." :)

As always, it's what works for you...
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am

If you have ever flown floats over glassy water, the last thing you want is polarized lenses. Trying to judge a landing when you are seeing the bottom of the lake instead of the surface of the water is down right spooky. Fun, but spooky.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu May 03, 2012 2:46 pm

champguy wrote:If you have ever flown floats over glassy water, the last thing you want is polarized lenses. Trying to judge a landing when you are seeing the bottom of the lake instead of the surface of the water is down right spooky. Fun, but spooky.

Yeah, that occurred to me too. For every argument, there's a counter-argument, and I claim no special expertise on this one. I don't remember which glasses I was wearing when I got my ASES rating, but they worked OK. They were probably polarized, based on the date. But my glassy water landings were simulated, since there was usually a little bit of wave action while I was training. I guess the ideal situation there would be glasses where the polarization could be turned on and off, so you could scan for logs and 'gators on downwind, then change to straight glass to pick up the surface on base and final. A new product idea! :!:
Jeff Ward
Scofreyjet on Twitter

davidsflying

Postby davidsflying » Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for the input it's much appreciated. I think I'm going to take them as they are for now and see if that colour tint bothers me long term or if I just get used to it.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon May 14, 2012 3:14 pm

After my last response on this topic, I ran across another discuss somewhere that pointed to this FAA Brochure on sunglasses for pilots. It has a lot of information on materials, UV protection, tints, polarization, etc.
Jeff Ward
Scofreyjet on Twitter

davidsflying

Postby davidsflying » Tue May 15, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks Jeff!

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 am

FWIW, we used this question as one of the "Listener Qs" in UCAP #286. Coming real soon now.

(We really do want more of these terse listener questions. Post them here, or email to podcast @ uncontrolledairspace.com. They don't necessarily need to be completely serious.)

// Jack

davidsflying

Postby davidsflying » Thu May 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Cool look forward to listening to what everyone thinks.

Return to “Flight Gear”