ANR headset question

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
kse

ANR headset question

Postby kse » Thu May 31, 2012 7:00 am

I just recently bought my first ANR headset, after having used a very reliable Telex passive headset for several years. After researching ANRs a good bit, and considering cost, features, etc., I went with Telex again and got their Stratus 30 headset. I have flown with them twice. The passive noise reduction alone is better than ny old headset, and I do still have that "wow" reaction when the ANR makes that low frequency engine noise so much quieter. One issue I'm having though is that when I turn my head sharply to the left (as if looking for traffic at 6 o'clock position), I hear a buzzing hum in the left earcup. If I keep my head in that position for a few seconds, it seems to diminish but not necessarily go away. This issue does not really happen if I turn my head to the right. I've also noticed this buzzing sound if I look down at my kneeboard. I'm assuming this may be an issue with the seal of the headset on my ears. Is this typical for ANR headsets? Or maybe this is a problem with Telex or my specific headset? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

etterre

Re: ANR headset question

Postby etterre » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I haven't noticed that sort of thing with my old secondhand Bose X... Have you tried flying with a friend as safety pilot? Might not hurt to try out lifting or tugging on an earcup to see if that does it. But my money would be on electrical interference of some sort - so I'd try moving or jiggling the cord while keeping my head as still as possible. If I'm right, you may be able to isolate it to bending a particular part of the cord and/or getting the cord near a particular breaker or switch. Do you typically loop some of the excess cord around something? Loops of wire can make decent antennas for certain lengths and frequencies...

turbo

Postby turbo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:25 am

try turning off the alternator part of the master, wiggling the headset jack, turning off one radio at the time, ect to try and locate the noise source. that will be a start.
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

kse

Postby kse » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:44 pm

I have had a chance to fly with the headset a bit more since I first posted. I think what I am noticing results from the earcup seal being broken when I turn my head sharply. As suggested, I tried moving the headset plugs and cords around while I kept my head still, and there was no buzzing sound. Again, it generally only happens when I turn my head about 90 degrees. I will add that the problem was worse on a late afternoon flight this past weekend when it was quite hot, and sweating seemed to affect the earcup seal.

Return to “Flight Gear”