Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.

Postby fugops » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:40 am

Looking for some advice on a portable transceiver. I have looked at Vertex and Icom. I am a VFR pilot and will get my IFR rating within 2 years. I wasn't sure about the NAV & COM features on the transceivers and how useful they would be. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Transceivers

Postby DJTorrente » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:29 pm

CW I've read is that the NAV function is less useful in practice than it appears in the glossy catalogs. If you're already carrying a portable GPS when whatever happens that forces you to rely on the portable radio, that GPS will be at least as useful if not more so than the portable NAV features.

Get the headset adapter.

"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2016: July 25-31 2017: July 24-30

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:46 pm

FWIW I may finally pull the trigger on replacing my old ICOM while I'm at OSH this summer. I'm still weighing the brands, but I'm pretty sure that 1) the smaller the better, and 2) I don't need the NAV feature.

// Jack

Postby champguy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:31 pm

The only down side of the newer smaller units according to an ICOM engineer I talked to, is that the charging circut can't handle the current if you transmit while pluged into 12 volts to keep the battery up while using the unit in flight.
When the NAV function becomes a GPS instead of a VOR receiver even I will be interested. The NAV function has the wrong type of antenna to actually work very well.
Personally I prefer the AA battery packs to the rechargeables which always seem to be down when you need them. They only work for daily around the field use with an overnight charge station.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Flight Gear”