What Watch

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
pilot_ngb

What Watch

Postby pilot_ngb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:18 am

What pilot watch you using if any?

I'm using Eco Drive Skyhawk

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/English/detail.asp?Country=COA&Language=English&ModelNumber=JR3060-59F

The look
Rotating computer (im bad at math!)
Timezone function
Never needs charging

Dislike
Easy to get knocked
No back light for timers at night

Dave Higdon

Re: What Watch

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Always used whatever was in the panel and the big gray-scale LCD screen of a Sporty's E6-B electronic calculator -- with a sports timer as a back-up unit...

Watch...I've got one of those nice analog/digital/flight-calculator wrist chronographs...but stopped wearing it about 18 months ago when in the hospital for a while -- and never got back in the habit...still running...in my flight-jacket pocket...

Dave

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:35 am

I had an $11 "sports timer" stuck to the pannel and was happy for a long time. Then I got gadget envy and bought a $56 aviation model with a bunch of neat features like independent timers for instrument approach maneuvers, whatever they are.

The really clever feature that I do use from time to time is that it has a conviently placed start button. After a period of time I'm reaching up to the glare shield to grab a sectional, just brushing the conviently placed button, and it starts counting back down from whatever time had elapsed. Cool hey what.

Hi Tech rocks
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

viennatech

Postby viennatech » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 pm

My fiancee bought me a Casio Pathfinder for xmas a year ago and I love it. It is big but inside it has a barometer so you get weather trends, altimeter and pressure readings. It has a compass, stopwatch and thermometer. It's waterproof and has survived a swim or two and it's so far survived the beating of living on an active person's arm. You can see them here. http://pathfinder.casio.com/ My exact model is different than today's but they all have the same basic functions.

What I dislike about it is touted as a feature is the solar recharging. It does need it for sure with all the power hungry devices inside but here in Canada there is often not enough sun for it to charge without me actively placing it in a window. All summer it's fine but winter is a drag. (I charge it under a fluorescent lamp when in an emergency). It does have a battery gauge right on the face though so that is useful.

Funny thing is that I don't think I have ever used the altimeter or compass in flight. Simply because the aircraft has perfectly good ones in the panel. I guess I should try this someday!

Punky

Postby Punky » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:48 pm

I sail/race every week during the winter. It just so happens that the same watch I use for sailing is great for flying. It's a $100 Gill brand watch. It has all the staggered sail race timers on it but most importantly - it can show two times. Analogue hands I set to the local time, the digital LCD overlay I set to UTC. Some watches don't let you set the digital time to something other than the analogue time - this one does it great.

You push a button and the UTC time is overlayed the entire face so it's nice and large.

Come to think of it - the staggered race timer function might work for holds too. I can't recall if there's a 1, 2 or 4 min setting but there are several of them.

A staggered race start timer works like this. You set it to the time between starts (for our race it's 3 minutes). When you hear the gun you hit the button. It starts counting down - beeping at I believe every minute mark and then the final half minute. When it gets down to I believe the last 10 seconds each second beeps. When it hit zero a big long beep as it resets it self to count down again from 3 minutes. If the timing is off - it's simple to start over again with a fresh loop.

So if there are 1,2, or 4 minute settings avail - IFR guys will appreciate the usefulness; set for 4 and hit the start button as you cross the VOR/NDB and start your turn.

The typical BIG aviation watch, while attractive, never seemed so practical to me. I wanted big UTC time display as well as local time. Tiny little UTC time on a watch while you're bouncing along in turbulence in a 172 just didn't work for me.

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:29 pm

pilot_ngb wrote:What pilot watch you using if any?

I'm using Eco Drive Skyhawk

very similar to yours, I am using the Citizen Navihawk Blue Angels edition since 10 years:

Very happy with the timezone feature, and the fact that you can always keep UTC in view. A simple double click to change timezone, the hands are the same clock as the LCD display, so they are in perfect sync.

Got it in the LA area, I think it was Santa Monica, when I once was able to sneak into the cockpit of the Alitalia MD11 that was doing the Milan-LAX route and back. At the time Alitalia had a policy whereby close relatives of pilots would be allowed an open seat onboard a flight if the pilot relative was on duty on Christmas day or New year's day. My friend Gilberto said I was his cousin, and so I flew MXP-LAX first class leaving New Year's day of 1999, with loooong time spent in the cockpit... ;) Stayed in Long Beach (AZ hotel down there) for a couple of days and drove around with the 2 friend copilots (the Captain had his family with him) and departed on Jan 3rd PM, landing in Milan on Jan 4th late morning.

Ahhh, those were the good days at Alitalia, a company that is on the verge on going bust, and is also in the middle of a huge political fight... :evil:

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:51 am

That sounds like it was a fun few days.

A friend of a friend was an FO on a Lufthansa A-320 that I was on from Dallas to Frankfurt pre-9/11. I got to sit up front on the back bench for a good while and BS with the guys. That was a lot of fun.

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:24 am

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:A friend of a friend was an FO on a Lufthansa A-320 that I was on from Dallas to Frankfurt pre-9/11. I got to sit up front on the back bench for a good while and BS with the guys. That was a lot of fun.

9/11 didn't change things much in Europe as far as being hosted in the cockpit by the crew is concerned. Security was already much higher over here, with all the terrorist scare of the 70s... it is nonetheless prohibited by regulations, and there is always a little risk taken by the crew, should anyone report it, but I've done it over and over again and so it mustn't be a big deal for them after all.

Granted, some airports have much higher security standards, for instance in Heathrow they have cameras below the SafeTaxi indicator panels and they peep into the cockpit before giving taxi clearance, to make sure that only the actual crew is in the cockpit, and they don't let you go unless only uniformed guys are sitting in the cockpit.

But if you're friends of the crew, it's no problem whatsoever. I've done a lot of cockpit rides, mostly on MD80 and A320 series planes. This was somewhere over the Alps on a BRU-FCO trip:

Also spent some time on sims, where after 9/11 often it's much more difficult to get in. Here I am, doing T&Gs on the A320, blurred pic but it's hard to take nice ones without a tripod in the sim:

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

Punky

Postby Punky » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Flying with a new watch these days.
Breitling Aerospace with the "Copilot" watch band.

Speyers

Postby Speyers » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:22 pm

I use a cheap Timex watch from Wal-Mart. It has hands and also a digital box at the bottom for alarms, 2 times zones, date, etc. $35 and it works like a Champ!
I guess I could have spent $100+ on something that does my laundry and cooks me breakfast... but thats just not my style.

Return to “Flight Gear”