View Limiting Device for $5.00!

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
topilot

View Limiting Device for $5.00!

Postby topilot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:37 pm

OK, everyone, I know you have all tried out one of the many view limiting products from the old long plastic head crushing hoods, Foggles and JeppShades. I was cleaning out my flight bag when I came across a little gem called The Best Hood http://www.bestifrhood.com. You can't peek when wearing this baby and it folds up to fit in your pocket or chart folder. It was given a best product rating by Aviation Consumer and has been around for about ten years. You don't see it advertised as it is manufactured by a highly experienced CFII who decided he had a better mouse trap to keep his students honest!

cozy171bh

Re: View Limiting Device for $5.00!

Postby cozy171bh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:09 am

This hood looks great! I'll have to get one. I like the fact that it folds flat and takes up so little space.

And for those instrument instructors out there, in my opinion, it is not imperative that a view limiting device block out everything but the panel. An instructor can effectively teach concepts and determine the student's progress even if he/she can see beyond the panel. In my experience, a student who is trying to peak outside will reveal that fact by less precise instrument flying. Even the best view limiting devices are imperfect and will not prevent the sun and shadows from moving across the panel and revealing certain aspects of the aircraft's attitude to the student. The best view limiting device is actual IMC weather. After the student has progressed far enough in the training program, I would have the student file on a day when the appropriate weather conditions exist to expose him/her to real IFR. This is good and realistic training, and exposes the student to things you cannot simulate with a device. And get them on top of a sloping cloud layer or between layers without a hood and watch what happens!

And if you really want to save money and go cheap....When in DC-9 training for my airline some 13 years ago, we had to go around the pattern in the actual airplane several times to complete the final FAA training requirements. This was because our simulator was an older model which could not meet all the training requirements. What does this have to do with the $5 view limiting device? Well, the airline's instructors made one out of scrap cardboard and duct tape which blocked the view out the front window for the trainee while still permitting instructors to see traffic in the pattern through cardboard louvers. Couldn't have cost more than 50 cents in tape and a few minuted rummaging through the company trash! It was cheap, but very effective.

topilot

Postby topilot » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:06 am

Totally agree! No view limiting device can take the place of actual IMC.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm

cozy171bh wrote:Even the best view limiting devices are imperfect and will not prevent the sun and shadows from moving across the panel and revealing certain aspects of the aircraft's attitude to the student. The best view limiting device is actual IMC weather.

Oh, how I love this observation...particularly the italicized section...

For a variety of reasons -- the above actually only the second on the list -- the vast majority of my instrument training came at night, with us taking off about at legal sunset at the earliest...this schedule came about because of a deadline which gave me less than four weeks to complete my training and pass a check ride...

Found an instructor who agreed to fly with me every evening/night for a little more than two weeks -- weekends, too -- because that accommodated his schedule...

And, as things worked out, my check ride started about five minutes ahead of sunset...

But after only two nights, the experience left me convinced that the best training after actual IMC is night...for the reasons expressed above...

So today it's my recommendation that the student try to get half or more of the instrument work at night -- 25 percent at a minimum...

The first actual that come my way -- three days after the check ride -- was a lot less intimidating, coming during the day as it did, it seemed easier than the night hood work...

Good stuff, Cozy...and the product is excellent...but try to use it mostly at night...you'll be better prepped...at least, that's my two-cents worth.

Dave

topilot

Postby topilot » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Night practice under the hood it the way to go for sure. No shadows or light effects.

Return to “Flight Gear”