Jeb and the Samsung Q1

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
JHWellington

Jeb and the Samsung Q1

Postby JHWellington » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:25 am

Hey Jeb, a few months ago you bought a Q1 for a ridiculously low price and were just starting to download charts and software. Can you give us an update as to how it's going?

I'm currently bidding on a Q1 on eBay and want to know if you're pleased with yours. Thanks.

Dave Higdon

Re: Jeb and the Samsung Q1

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 pm

John -- just want to let you know that the UCAP gang <Jack> verbally took your question directly to Jeb when we recorded #96 last night (Thursday, Aug. 21)...

I'd fill you in here but it makes far more sense if you hear it...well...that and I was fighting to open a Leinnie's when Jeb was giving his Q1 update...

Dave

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Dave Higdon wrote:...that and I was fighting to open a Leinnie's when Jeb was giving his Q1 update...

Dave

I hope you won that battle and took another one's head off just to teach the others a lesson! :D :D

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Jeb:

Thanks for responding verbally during the most recent episode. Your statement about only getting a Q1 with the SSD drive has me thinking. Originally, I was in complete agreement with you and have only looked for devices with a SSD harddrive. Unfortunately, the SSD models are commanding a hefty premium over their normal disk-drive brethren, so I was wondering: I usually fly below 10,000ft MSL, really want to use the device for approach plates and maybe enroute IFR & VFR charts as well as flight planning on the ground. My understanding is, the platter-style hard drives have risk of damage/failure at altitudes above 10,000ft, so given my normal mission profile, do I really need an SSD HD?

I guess an approach could be so bumpy that it could cause hard drive failure, but I certainly haven't had any like that so far and won't ever if I do weather homework correctly. I've read that the Q1 can be converted to the SSD HD in the future, so I am thinking of starting with the normal HD version, seeing if it works for me and if it doesn't or I crash the drive, I could always upgrade it later on.

I have seen the new versions of the Q1 with the keyboards for around $700 with a 60GB HD vs. over $1,000 for the SSD models -- that's enough of a price delta to make me interested in trying the non-SSD model first and upgrading if I have to. Any thoughts?

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:59 pm

John,

While I can't speak to the issue of a computer hard drive, I can tell you that I have an 80GB IPod with hard drive upon which I store Podcasts and music that I listen to sometime in flight. On a long cross country trip we were about 8K MSL when the IPod developed a "skip" every now and then. When climbing to about 11K MSL to overfly a class B airspace, the IPod stopped working about 9K feet. While I can't tell you with 100% certainty that the problem was the hard drive head float issue, it did commence working when we descended. While the IPod was not needed for flight, if you were using the computer for "GPS" duties you would be out of luck.

Regards,

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:21 am

I've been listening to Jeb and the rest talk about the Q1 and I thought that I would throw my two-cents in since it has been awhile since I've written about how much I like mine.

I've been using a Samsung Q1 on a yoke mount for almost two years. I originally found a refurbished one for about $750 and took the plunge, and it has been outstanding! It is a 30GB spinning harddrive, but I really have never noticed any problems up to about FL090 (I can at least talk like a bigger plane). The worst is I have to be a little patient while waiting a few extra seconds for a given chart or plate to load, but once it is loaded the GPS position updates as fast as normal. Like Jeb recommends, get the charger to go in the plane since the battery life is not great and to prevent the screen from dimming. I use a bluetooth GPS antenna, but I always carry a USB backup antenna. Both work wonderfully. One last thing about the quality of the unit - while on a trip to upstate NY last October, I set the unit on top of my jacket on the ramp while unloading the plane at night. The person bringing us our rental car drove right over it (with tire tracks across the computer sleeve to prove it) and the unit didn't skip a beat.

As far as software, I'm going a little farther than to just get the plates. I went with Chartcase Pro from FlightPrep. I like that it is both a planning software and an in-cockpit Class 2 EFB. They allow you to install it on three computers and keep it updated, so I can plan on the big screen at home (or on the Q1 on the road), get a duats weather download, and then submit my flight plan with it (also done with a duats account). Just to be clear, all of this is done from within ChartCase. It is outstanding having a backlit approach plate at night, although at night I do reduce the brightness on the Q1, which is really simple to do. I usually just leave it on the sectional display so that I can identify towns as I fly over them.

Finally, in order to practice with the software prior to having to use it in the plane I have hooked it into my flight simulator so that it gets the simulated GPS position from MSFS, but that is a topic of a previous post of mine. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65&p=179&hilit=Samsung#p179
Attachments
stp80794 (2).jpg
Mounted in Cherokee Six. Power cable has since been rerouted to be less intrusive.
stp80794 (2).jpg (121.82 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

Return to “Flight Gear”