GPS vs Tablet PC

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
Mike

GPS vs Tablet PC

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 pm

There has been a lot of discussion about GPSs and Tablet PC’s.
Which is better?

As an xample; How would something like Wibrain B1S Tablet PC or LS800 1.2 Tablet PC with an external GPS and XM antenna using the Voyager software compare with the new Garmin 696?

It seems you could have most of the same features including; moving maps, XM/WX, approach plates, and flight planning, ... for about $2k less than the Garmin.

It seems to me that a properly set up PC is a much better bang for the buck, but before I make an investment I would like to get some more input.

Advantages/Disadvantages?
What do you think?

Mike
I have been using GPS in my autos for years, computers even longer. I am a big gadget nut, even have a new Iphone.
Twitter: Mike_Flys
Mytransponder: MJD
Http://www.mjd2.com

champguy

Re: GPS vs Tablet PC

Postby champguy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:18 pm

We had a discusion here some months ago about hard drives and altitude.
The magnetic pickup floats over the spinning disk on a cushon of air. Some where arount 10,000 feet the cushon fails, the pickup contacts the disk, and the hard drive "crashes" losing all data stored on it.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Thanks for the info.
I read those post and both PCs I mentioned come with SD hard drives, and can be found on eBay for a reasonable price.

Is there another downside to PC vs. GPS as a portable navigation aide?

Thanks,
Mike
Twitter: Mike_Flys
Mytransponder: MJD
Http://www.mjd2.com

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm

I flew a 4.5 hour leg at 11K on 26DEC (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N436 ... /KAIO/KUNI), and didn't have a single issue with my Q1 running FlightPrep, ChartCase Pro. The Q1 is the spinning HD version, NOT the flash HD.

Just another data-point.
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Joe -- a couple of points about mechanical hard drives and altitude...

One, just like our airplanes, it's density altitude that counts here; if, on 26Dec, at an absolute altitude of 11K cold air made the density altitude much lower than 10, then you were at little risk in general;

Two, it's both a cushion and cooling issue and the mechanical HD becomes more susceptible to damage on hotter days when the DA is above 10K; and, of course, if it's nice and smooth, you've less to worry about.

But having had the issue show up on microdrives in my digital cameras, my belief is that the issue is more than an old-wives tail...not that you can't or won't get away with it -- but it sure wouldn't be something to push on a hot day if you had to fly at DAs well above 10K...

Of course, if it's not a primary instrument or nav source, it's not really a safety-of-flight issue and really only a damage-to-wallet thing ;)

And Mike, on the tablet w/accessories vs the Garmin 696: Can't disagree with your assessment and observation; for some, though, the all-built-in aspect of the 696 will be the big appeal...no external add ons for GPS or XM; so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open for that magic EFB tool that will let me do all I want, without paper, for two grand or less...and it's coming -- when or how or from whom I can't say...but as a veteran aviation-market watcher, it seems only a matter of time to me.

Dave

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:50 am

Dave,

Excellent points, all of them. I absolutely believe that spinning hard drives are very susceptible to pressure (i.e. density altitude) and temperature, so I never rely on it as a sole source of information. I use a free program called TripPack to make sure that I have current paper for everyplace I may end up having to land. I guess that my main reason for saying how I was able to fly along for so long and high with no HD problems, was to illustrate how impressed I continue to be with the Samsung Q1. This is the same computer that was run over on a dark tarmac in Oct, 2007, by a pickup truck. The thing continues to work perfectly, and is the only non-Mac computer in my house that I trust.

Stay warm,
Joe
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 am

joemurffy wrote:...and is the only non-Mac computer in my house that I trust.

Good man!

-- Jack

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:58 am

Joe -- Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. And since pilots wide and far have embraced the Q1 it's something I'll be taking a look at...thanks for the added endorsement...being run over by a truck and surviving is one hell of a recommendation. :shock:

Dave

denverpilot

Postby denverpilot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:13 am

So I must comment here that I absolutely love ChartCase Pro running on an old beater (read: cheap!) Panasonic Toughbook (touch screen/flip down screen model). Paired up with an inexpensive but ridiculously fast-to-lock WAAS-enabled bluetooth GPS that'll run for 30 hours (one of those little "hockey puck" things) that also acts as a GPS data logger, and on longer flights I borrow a friend's XM weather receiver... it's amazingly good.

Could it be better in direct sunlight? Yes. I wouldn't recommend this screen in a low-wing aircraft with lots of bright sun from above. I fly a C-182, so there's always somewhere I can contort a bit and get it into the shade. But the next closest Tablet PC with a screen made for direct sunlight was many hundreds of dollars more expensive on the used market. One of the other people who flies the aircraft has it on one of those, and it's still a bit washed out in direct sunlight, and I spent a lot less money.

Once I flew a long VFR cross-country with this thing in the cockpit, I wouldn't go without it. It's just far too useful. Real digitized charts with the aircraft depicted on them, or switch to their "raster" charts that have less data, but are great... approach plates, the real deal, with the aircraft location overlaid on them... the XM weather overlay was impressive... if you build a flight plan in, it'll do the "highway in the sky" thing, just fly the airplane through the boxes... etc.

All in, with a sale in June on ChartCase Pro, I think I'm up to like $800 total. Way cool for relatively low bucks. I wouldn't trade it for a 696 or an Av8or at all.

All that said, the other person I know with the other laptop DID experience a disk head crash at 12,500' MSL. No data loss after he returned to the ground and rebooted the machine, but he did complete the flight on paper charts that day, wondering what had happened. Swapping a solid-state hard drive into my Panasonic wouldn't require much money, and would fix that problem permanently.

The small Panasonic just BARELY fits into my Brightline bag in the deep chart "storage" area too... but it does fit. So I can keep it in my flight bag. Very cool. The Samsung Q series looks interesting, perhaps even as a yoke mount way to do all of this, but right now, I'll stick with the cheaper solution. Less money spent on GPS toys is more money in the flying account for avgas! :)

--
Nate Duehr
http://facebook.com/denverpilot
http://twitter.com/denverpilot
--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com
Host: Mile High Flyers Podcast, but just speakin' my own mind here!

http://facebook.com/denverpilot
http://twitter.com/denverpilot

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Cool stuff about the Panasonic...have seen those Toughbook products around and wondered about their suitability...

Since this topic first started, though, there's been some movement on this whole tablet PC/EFB/GPS front to fill in a space below the Garmin 695/696 level...

Honeywell's AV8OR Ace, a touch-screen tablet with a screen the size of an instrument-approach plate -- and it works as a GPS navigator, electronic flight bag (with GEOREFERENCED legal charts and plates) datalink weather capability as an option, good battery time, easy interface...at least, that was the take-away from a 30 minute intro at AirVenture...expecting to swap Honeywell back the demo AV8OR portable MFD I've been working with for the past few months and get a similar workout with the ACE...

In the meantime, another appealing aspect is its value quotient: it's less than half the cost of the Garmin...the Garmin is really excellent; the Ace is better in some areas and equal in others...worth looking at by anyone interested in a fully functional EFB/GPS/Weather solution...

FWIW...

Dave

Return to “Flight Gear”