Buying an Aviation Handheld Radio

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
Soccer-Jock

Re: Buying an Aviation Handheld Radio

Postby Soccer-Jock » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:54 am

CaptainCode wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it would be too easy to rig a coat hanger to test out since I don't think it would fit in the connector properly but you're right that I might not see too much improvement in reception, at least on the ground.

Another inexpensive, but effective alternative is a simple telescopic whip antenna which you can get at any local Radio Shack.
The antenna has a BNC connector on it, which should fit your radio.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2501276

Then just take the center of the frequency range you expect to be using. (eg: 118 to 122 MHz... so maybe 120 MHz) then divide 234/f where f= is your frequency. This will give you a quarter wave dipole length in feet.

Adjust your telescoping antenna to the correct length using a ruler then take a Sharpie marker and mark a ring on the antenna where to extend it to. Viola, you can collapse it whenever you need to, then just extend it out to the mark you made when you want to use it. In the example above thats 1.95 feet or 23.4 inches. It's a bit unruly to wield around the cockpit, but on the ground it isn't too bad and the improvement is significant over any rubber-duck antenna.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was in the market for a handheld starting about 2 months ago. I bought my perfect match. I ended up buying a Icom A-24 handheld with NAV. Great little radio for the weekend pilot. Little bit on the expensive side. I would recommend it if anyone else is im my prior position.
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:04 am

If you don't need NAV, and to tell you the truth I believe most people don't these days, you can go for the Icom A6. I bought one at Sun and Fun and Icom gracefully provided with a nice bag too, all for $229.99. Don't recall the price of the A24, but it was surely higher and, IMHO, not worth the extra money for a feature I don't really need. People use GPS these days, not NAV!

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:51 pm

Your right, NAV isn't needed. I was looking at the A24 and they only had the one with NAV in stock and the owner of the pilot shop gave me a reasonable discount on it in which I decided to buy it. You dont need NAV, but I have it if I do......

--Andrew
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

Return to “Flight Gear”