For Jack and other iPhone addicts...er, fans...

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
Dave Higdon

For Jack and other iPhone addicts...er, fans...

Postby Dave Higdon » Mon May 18, 2009 11:25 am

AOPA's Airport Directory -- now iPhone compatible...

Check it out here:

http://www.aopa.org/iPhone

Still patiently waiting for the ZapApp...the "app" that will free me from endless "there's an App for that..." ads ;)

"...one ringee-dingee...two ringee-dingee..."

Dave

hunter

Re: For Jack and other iPhone addicts...er, fans...

Postby hunter » Tue May 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Nice, thanks Mr. Higdon.

Hey I was thinking I wanted to ask you a question so this works, ok my Dad wants me to fly him this Friday night, Central Florida, over a concrete pour to take some aerial photos. I have flown over the site before and it is about 6 miles West of Winter Haven's Gilbert Field (KGIF). I suppose it depends on the wind with what runway they are departing there but what should my radio call be, if any, when circling that site to take the photos? I havent done any aerial work with photos so I wasn't sure, thanks!
As UCAP has taught me: "Time spent flying is not subtracted from your lifespan".

fordan

Postby fordan » Tue May 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Dave Higdon wrote:AOPA's Airport Directory -- now iPhone compatible...

Check it out here:

http://www.aopa.org/iPhone

I'd add that the app does requires AOPA membership (not saying it's a bad thing, just a consideration for people looking at it who might not be members)

The same functionality is supposed to be added to the Foreflight Mobile paid iPhone app. Foreflight is the company that developed AOPA's app; I wouldn't be shocked if there was a little quid pro quo going on, they develop the limited free app for AOPA and get free access to AOPA's data for their paid app.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue May 19, 2009 4:00 pm

hunter wrote:Nice, thanks Mr. Higdon.

No problemo, Mr. Hunter...and "Mr." given gets "Mr." back...otherwise ;) "Dave" works fine...or "DUDE!"...

hunter wrote:Hey I was thinking I wanted to ask you a question so this works, ok my Dad wants me to fly him this Friday night, Central Florida, over a concrete pour to take some aerial photos. I have flown over the site before and it is about 6 miles West of Winter Haven's Gilbert Field (KGIF). I suppose it depends on the wind with what runway they are departing there but what should my radio call be, if any, when circling that site to take the photos? I havent done any aerial work with photos so I wasn't sure, thanks!

No problemo, again...Aerial platform work is more like work than fun, but the experience can make you feel good about your pilotage...

A couple of items to remember: Towers -- there's a number of 'em around that area, most of 'em short...under 500 msl at the top; be watchful; in fact, remember you're the PIC, so trying to eyeball what the photog is doing isn't a good practice. Focus on the flying -- you'll be busy enough.

And the reason you'll be "busy enough" arises out of the cluttered airspace situation "about six miles West of KGIF"...the biggie to consider is KLAL; towered, lots of training traffic, plus the transient and business traffic it attracts.

My suggestion is you seek flight following and a squawk from Lakeland or, at the least, Tampa Approach...gives you some extra eyes working for you, though on Flight Following they are not responsible for maintaining separation...but it will help.

One other suggestion: if you're equipped to do so, monitor Lakeland if you don't get them to help, and if you do, monitor Gilbert CTAF -- may help you avoid some traffic that announces departure Westbound, but then doesn't actually talk or squawk...

Usually, if traffic isn't overwhelming, these facilities will be glad to help out; just explain you're on a mission to photograph a work site and try to be as specific as you can about location -- for example, radial and mileage off the LAL VOR...helps them help you right up front.

As for flying, well, fly the airplane as the photo needs in terms of headings and turns -- never forgetting that the photo work is the secondary mission; getting down intact and unscratched is the primary. When flying to photograph ground targets, I usually try a couple of circuits first, camera free, to get a look at the site picture through the windshield; then I set up for the speed -- nicely above Vs, please -- and for turns around a point I add just a bit of nose-up pitch trim so that if I do lose focus for a moment the airplane wants to climb...less up there to hurt than down there :roll:

Good luck and have fun!

Dave

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Wed May 20, 2009 8:12 am

Nice app, I tried it and it's good to have the information available at the fingertip without needing to be online, once the big bundle of data is downloaded and installed locally.

OTOH, I noticed that the new application I loaded made syncing between iTunes and my iPhone take just about forever, with the iPhone being stuck into sync for some 20 minutes instead of the usual minute or so. Not sure if the backup of the whole downloaded data is what makes the sync take so long, all I know is that by removing the application from the iPhone made things go back to normal sync speed.

So, since I don't actually need the data at this time, being on the other side of the pond, I have deinstalled it. But I sure would love to see this behaviour fixed in an update! :roll:

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 am

hunter wrote:Hey I was thinking I wanted to ask you a question so this works, ok my Dad wants me to fly him this Friday night, Central Florida, over a concrete pour to take some aerial photos. I have flown over the site before and it is about 6 miles West of Winter Haven's Gilbert Field (KGIF). I suppose it depends on the wind with what runway they are departing there but what should my radio call be, if any, when circling that site to take the photos? I havent done any aerial work with photos so I wasn't sure, thanks!

if I were you, hunter, like Dave said I would just call Tampa Approach on 120.65 or 119.9 (the frequencies posted for KGIF and KLAL) and tell them what you will be doing so they call you for any traffic around your area. 6 miles west of KGIF puts you around the Lake Parker area, so you'll call them over the VPKER Visual Reporting Point and state your intentions, I don't think that Tampa Approach will have a problem with that.

Those two frequencies can get quite busy at times, though, so be sure you do good radio calls and don't clutter the frequency with too many unnecessary information that the ATC operator won't need... ;)

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

hunter

Postby hunter » Fri May 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info guys, but i will have to use it in the future and not today, because down here in florida the skys have opened up :x

But appreciate the replies!
As UCAP has taught me: "Time spent flying is not subtracted from your lifespan".

Return to “Flight Gear”