Looking for a USED Garmin with weather

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
hunter

Looking for a USED Garmin with weather

Postby hunter » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:55 am

Hey everyone, ill keep it short. I have a Garmin 96C, and I am looking for something with weather (like a 396), my income is very limited as im 17 and trying to pay to fly, so maybe a deal with the 96C plus me paying difference could be made... Im interested in working out any deals, my email is hlocke8@me.com. feel free to email, im looking for anything that works. Thanks
As UCAP has taught me: "Time spent flying is not subtracted from your lifespan".

Dave Higdon

Re: Looking for a USED Garmin with weather

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 am

If you don't get bits on your entreaty, Hunter, check out the Honeywell AV8OR as a possible alternative...it's got a color screen that, I believe, is slightly larger than the Garmin 396/496 models, offers a great collection of features, does street-nav service very nicely, and can be fitted with a WxWorx datalink receiver to get Weather like the Garmin 396 -- the Wx receiver, you probably know, is built into the 496...has neat stuff like obstacles database and flight-profile monitoring, a sub-display at the bottom of the screen that looks at your flight from the side -- and shows your altitude relative to terrain, Special Use Airspace and obstacles on your route...Oh, yeah -- it's also a functional MP3 player...

Best part if that new ones sell for about $695 through most of the on-line and catalog pilot shops, without the datalink receiver; new with data link goes for about $1,100 to $1,200...competitive with used Garmin 396 and 496 and a whole lot less than new ones...and don't forget, that weather service requires a subscription...you can also update the software to use a $99-per-year Flight Guide service that gives you access to airport fuel prices -- and it's updateable daily of you want...might find option that handy later when you're flying more cross country...

Been using and writing about the AV8OR, and have used the 396 and 496 and think they're all excellent tools...but for the money, don't think there's a better deal than the little Honeywell...

https://www.bendixking.com/AV8OR/

FWIW...and good luck with the flying! Keep it up!

Dave

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:32 pm

These gadgets are improving so fast, and now the price is comming down too.
It is hard to remain unconvinced after struggling last weekend with two handheld devices, neither of which held the waypoint I needed to skirt SeaTac's Class"B" while running VFR under a low ceiling.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:49 am

We just need them to paint the magenta lines on the ground that match our charts then we'd truly be VFR. No GPS required.

I just bought into a plane that has two GPS units on board; an older IFR Garmin and a 496 mounted on the yoke. It is easy to get spoiled.

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am

Each new gadget or improvement is a step on that long slippery slope leading to the point where a failure becomes unrecoverable.
In my world, I can hear and feel the engine so I don't need an EGT. That Magenta line is a road, railroad, powerline, or river. I know the guy that has to go out and fix things, and I know where power lines cross the rivers. Outside my little world, we enter "faith based flying" where the Magenta line and the instrument on the panel are all we have and we just have to believe that no new towers have been built, or the sensor hasn't failed, yet.
I think before I head off to OSH next year I'm going to git me one of them new av8tors, and retire the old Magellan or give someone a deal on last years "new" Lowrance.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Flight Gear”