Cell Phone Headset Adapter

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
PropFan

Cell Phone Headset Adapter

Postby PropFan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:19 am

While flying a cross country trip last Sunday, I had a fairly urgent need to place a cell phone call while in flight. Shouting on the phone over the cabin noise was out of the question, so I wasn't able to place the call. So...I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good cell phone headset adapter. After last Sunday's flight, I consider this to be an essential safety feature -- not something to use for casual conversations.

So far, I've come across 4 products: SafetyCell, PilotUSA, Avcomm and Sportys, ranging in price from $70 to $160. Reviews on these products seem to be mixed. I'd appreciate your thoughts/recommendations. FWIW, I use a Blackberry Curve.

PropFan

champguy

Re: Cell Phone Headset Adapter

Postby champguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:46 am

Before I get one I want to try the adapter and make sure it fits my phone.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:26 am

I have the one from Sporty's. It works fine, but eats batteries.

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:57 am

After considering a number of options, I finally decided to purchase Pilot-USA's BluLink adapter (http://www.pilot-usa.com/) because I wanted to use the Bluetooth functionality of my BlackBerry Curve, thus keeping the tangle of cords to a minimum. I received the unit in the mail yesterday, and my first impression is very favorable. Within just a few minutes after taking the unit out of the box I was able to establish a wireless connection between my phone and the adapter and was able to call the local ATIS phone number over my David Clark headset -- all of this from my kitchen table. Audio quality and volume were both very good. I then called my work number and left a voice mail which I later retrieved from my home phone. Again, the audio quality of the call placed from my headset was very good. The device has an auto-mute function which is supposed to give radio transmissions priority over audio being transmitted by the BlackBerry. Also, if the batteries in the adapter go dead, normal radio transmissions will still pass through. I'll post an update once I've had an opportunity to test the unit in flight, but so far so good. The only bad news: the device is VERY spendy: $260 from Pilot-USA or $249 here: http://www.pilotmall.com/product/BluLin ... a-headsets.

PropFan

John

Postby John » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

I tried several adapters for use with my cell phone and iPod and BOSE headset for several years. The solutions were clumsy and resulted in some loss of headset performance (e.g. clarity).

When the Zulu upgrade was announced for Lightspeed headset owners, I upgraded my wife's headset. I loved the Bose but couldn't resist trying out the Zulu just once. The Zulu proved to be a pretty great all around headset but I was attached to the Bose. Once I linked my iPhone to the Zulu Bluetooth I found that I could listen to music or make/answer phone calls with both ease and clarity unknown to me in those years of experimentation with the Bose.

The bottom line...my wife's headset is a Bose. Guess who uses the Zulu on every flight?

Return to “Flight Gear”