Huffmann Prairie Flying Field - Dayton, Ohio

PilotBillFromTexas

Huffmann Prairie Flying Field - Dayton, Ohio

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Before there was such a thing as an "airport" there was the first "flying field." Huffman Prairie Flying Field is the place where Orville and Wilbur performed their magic and learned how to build a flyable airplane. It is now part of Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. The field is literally an open field marked with four white flags where Wright's operated. There are placards telling visitors about early aviation and about this hallowed ground. There are stone markers where the Wrights had the hangar for their flying school and there are replicas of their first factory shed and the rail and catapult mechanism that launched the first airplanes.

Nearby is the National Museum of the United States Air Force. It is truly spectacular. It is easily on par with the Smithsonian Air and Space museums though it reminded my more of the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian A&S Museum because of the cavernous hangars with so many airplanes in them and such large pieces fit inside without having to be shoehorned in. I'll find a way to link to the pictures that I took while I was there. One of the things that both the Smithsonian and the AF Museum do well are WWI aircraft. I found the Spad and the Jenny especially interesting.

They also have some offbeat things that you might not expect. For example they had the wind tunnel that the Wrights used. Who knew that they invented the wind tunnel let alone used one? The wind tunnel was build from wood. It looked like a cross between the Swiss Ricola mountain horn and a finely finished mahogany boat.

There was a military photography exhibit going on when I visited. I could have spent an hour on that alone. As it was, I just had about 40 minutes to race through before getting kicked out. My strategy was to find the furthest corner of the museum by closing time so that I could take some more in on the way out. I didn't get all the way into the last hall before getting the boot. That's okay. All it did was whet my appetite all the more to come back on my own terms and really spend some time here. It's worth the trip.

I think that this is the first UCAP Ambassedor submission and, just for the record.... I drove there. ;)
Attachments
hufffmanFlyingField03.jpg
hufffmanFlyingField03.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Huffmann Prairie Flying Field - Dayton, Ohio

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Here's a link to some photos.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Huffmann Prairie Flying Field - Dayton, Ohio

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:34 pm

That is AWESOME! Thanks.

-- Jack

Return to “UCAP Ambassadors”