Flying Home

Look through your logbook and tell us the story behind some memorable entry.
champguy

Flying Home

Postby champguy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm beginning to understand why some people work hard, make money, and buy big powerful planes.
Since leaving OSH I have gone under, gone on top, skirted rain close enough to need to jam a sectional where the water was comming in, and gone high in the mountains to get air cool enough to breath and stable enough to be half comfortable.
This afternoon, at god knows what density altitude, 9000 feet just wasn't good enough, and the only place to find calm cool air was in a motel in Missoula, Montana.
Tomorrow, a nice shot through Mullen Pass, across the Paloose, through the Columbia Gorge, across the Willamette Valley and down to the Pacific Coast, home at last.
It may not always be easy, but it is a journey I'll never forget, and it is why I fly.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

JHWellington

Re: Flying Home

Postby JHWellington » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Champguy, you are a special breed. It was nice to meet you at OSH. Have a safe final leg home.

Sven

Postby Sven » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Champ Guy, you put me to shame. I'm scared to cross the Sierra let alone the country. I admire your fortitude! I was also honored to meet you personally at Oshkosh. I hope the rest of your journey is filled with smooth, cool air.

-Sven

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:17 pm

The pass was bumpy, but all done in two hours. The Paloose and most of the Gorge were quite smooth and hands off flying. The Wilamette Valley had a marine build up but was flyable underneath, just barely. Final hop down to Florence was under bright sun over the Coast Range. Decending to Florence, the marine layer was backed up by Cape mountain and Herman Peak about two thousand feet deep and spilling a tongue of cloud over between. It was beautiful. Florence was open with a broken layer at about 800 feet and easy to approach from inland over the river. I was met by friends who handed me a cold frosty Henry Weinhards, a regional favourite every bit the equal of Leinies.
It was good to be home.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:13 am

Champguy,

Welcome home.

See you next time.

// Jack

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:10 pm

champguy wrote:I was met by friends who handed me a cold frosty Henry Weinhards, a regional favourite every bit the equal of Leinies.
It was good to be home.

Man, that's just too cool for words...great seeing you again; thanks for being part of our humble community...and look forward to seeing you again -- hopefully at a time when we have more opportunities to actually chat.

Meantime...take care of that little Champ...it sure seems to take good care of you...

Dave
ps -- we watched you take off Sunday as we prepped for our final-day podcast....kept an eyeball on you until you started the turn west and faded from view...
dh

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 pm

I love the stories like this, I'd love to fly into OSH... but coming from WAY over here it's a bit impractical! I'm hoping to make it out there for 2012 (next year's leave is done already!), but it'll be via human mailing tube unfortunately.

OSH Newbie question, how does one get from LAX to OSH on... (I don't want to say it but...) commercial carriers?
Caelus latus sursum

Return to “Logbook Memories”