First solo!

Look through your logbook and tell us the story behind some memorable entry.

First solo!

Postby Mtns2Skies » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:32 pm

So after 2.5 years and 93 hours of flight training I finally turned 16 on Jan 23rd. Too windy to fly, but today I finally soloed. CFI had me do 15 touch and goes (Because of excess traffic and fog) and finally once it quieted down he told me to call full stop.

I taxiied over to the terminal where my parents were waiting with my handheld listening in and dropped him off. I followed the checklist in the startup and got gradually more nervous as I called for taxi and taxied over to the run-up area. Absentmindedly I watched a V-tailed bo takeoff as I was taxiing. Another guy I knew at the flight school was in the run-up area for his commercial multi checkride, I wanted to wish him good luck but wasn't too certain if the tower would have been fond of that so I held my tongue.

A jet departed before me and I went up to the hold short line nervous as ever waiting for wake turbulence to clear and then a cessna to land. As soon as I lined up on the runway most of the nervousness cleared, I KNOW how to do this, and do it well. When I input the power the plane lurched forward being so much lighter. The 172N with 180hp climbed like a homesick angel and was at pattern altitude before the end of the runway.

Made my way around the pattern followed a Katana in for the touch and go and made a greaser my first solo landing, being so light without my CFI it was a bit easier to do what I wanted. Next time around the pattern the landing wasn't as good, I ballooned up a bit but it was still fairly respectable. This time around the pattern there was a helicopter near where my downwind would be so I extended my upwind to give it room but it quickly descended out of my way once I turned downwind. Last landing was a decent one, I exited the runway and taxied back to tie-down.

An excellent day, one I've been waiting for for a loooong time.

Re: First solo!

Postby ATC_Ben » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Congrats!! You will never forget that moment in time!
Caelus latus sursum

Postby PropFan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 am

Congratulations! Fifteen touch-and-goes in one session would have worn me out. I guess I don't have the stamina of the younger generation. :) I certainly wish I had started flying at your age. Here's to a lifetime of safe and happy aviating.

Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

That's fantastic Mtns2Skies! Congratulations.

// Jack

Return to “Logbook Memories”