Thunder Chicken!

Look through your logbook and tell us the story behind some memorable entry.
Landis

Thunder Chicken!

Postby Landis » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:03 pm

I just did some tailwheel training with an Oakland legend (Lou Fields) in his 1946 Aeronca Champ dubbed the Thunder Chicken.

Wheel landings, 3-point landings, high speed taxi, multiples (3 landings at a time alternating sides of the runway) and the fearsome crosswind. All with only 85hp in a 65 year old, no electrical system plane. I need one of these.

ChampGuy has been holding out on us! Too much fun.

-Landis
Attachments
ThunderChicken.jpg
ThunderChicken.jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 3768 times

Greg Bockelman

Re: Thunder Chicken!

Postby Greg Bockelman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Christian Eagle wannabe. LOL

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Holding out, heck I've been preaching.
Coolest airplane ever built. Sixty years later still delivers. Fun to fly and always brings me home.
Drop by at OSH this year down in Vintage Camping, bring cold beer and I'll tell all about it.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Landis

Postby Landis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:27 pm

champguy wrote:Holding out, heck I've been preaching.
Coolest airplane ever built. Sixty years later still delivers. Fun to fly and always brings me home.
Drop by at OSH this year down in Vintage Camping, bring cold beer and I'll tell all about it.

No chance you're looking for a passenger on the trip? ;)

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:47 am

That would put new meaning to the term "cattle class" for air travel.
With my wife in the back, we bring one AWOL bag. For cross country camping trips, I remove the rear stick and fill the back about to the roof, and gross weight.
It is a great fun way to travel, see a lot, but to carry two plus camping gear you really need a 172 or a Maule.
Love to find another Aeronca to travel with, or a Cub so there would be someone to make fun of.
Saw a new Carbon Cub yesterday, and if you've got the scratch, there are some really cool birds out there. It even has one of those new fangled electric starters. Now there is an idea that could catch on.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:16 am

A long time ago, 1998, I interviewed some guys at Oshkosh who had named their C150 "Thunder Chicken".

Here's the column I wrote back then. Scroll down to the item headlined: "No flightless birds here."

And although I have no picture of it, my recollection, and my description in my column of the paint job, are very similar to the Champ pictured.

Very cool.

// Jack

Return to “Logbook Memories”