Indy 500

Look through your logbook and tell us the story behind some memorable entry.
kswim94

Indy 500

Postby kswim94 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Not sure if there are many other race fans on here. I have three annual rituals ... Sun n Fun, Airventure, and the Indy 500. In the past I had been reluctant to try flying to the race for fear of an onerous arrival procedure and possible busting a TFR. But this year, I did a little research, made a call to the FBO, and went for it.

Fantastic day from start to finish. Folks at Indy Approach were fantastic, vectored me right on the final approach course for 21 at Eagle Creek (KEYE). Lineman had a cooler full of ice cold water waiting for us on the ramp. $15 ramp fee ... no complaints. Nice FBO, friendly folks. Taxis were in line waiting to take us to the race. Dropped us off a couple of blocks from the speedway in, for getting around on race day, record time. After the race, there was a line of taxis waiting to take us away. Unfortunately, the authorities were directing traffic flow such that we had no choice but to drive all the way East into downtown before going all the way back to the Northwest part of the county (still faster than a shuttle). Taxis cost $44/ride each way (by comparison, the shuttles were around $25/person round-trip.) Had a nice, relaxing dinner at the Boathouse, located across the street from the FBO. For the first time, I was back home in Columbus, Ohio before dark.

Oh, the race was fun, too. The ONLY downside was I couldn't drink beer at the race ... but, concessions had to be made.

If there are any other fans that are contemplating flying to the race, do it! So long as I have access to a plane and an instrument rating (just in case) we are never driving to there again.

Scofreyjet

Re: Indy 500

Postby Scofreyjet » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Sounds great! Where did you fly from?
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

kswim94

Postby kswim94 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:45 pm

KDLZ, which is in the Central Ohio area. 2.8h flight round trip. Compare that to the 3 hour drive on an incredibly dull stretch of I-70.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:35 am

That sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

// Jack

Return to “Logbook Memories”