Goodyear Blimp

Look through your logbook and tell us the story behind some memorable entry.
Krullery

Goodyear Blimp

Postby Krullery » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Interesting flight this morning. While transitioning the AKRON, OH class C at 2500 under some low clouds I get a call from ATC, "Traffic at your 12 o'clock, 5 miles @ 2000"

I respond, "If the traffic is the blimp, I have it in sight"

ATC replies, "I don't know if it's the blimp but we show him at 20 knots so I guess it could be".

champguy

Re: Goodyear Blimp

Postby champguy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 am

Good idea not to get too close to a blimp.
Someone is gonna have a camera for sure, and with such a nice stable platform your numbers are going to be easy to read.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:35 am

I'm kinda surprised that ATC didn't know it was a blimp. It wasn't at least on flight following?

Krullery

Postby Krullery » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 am

I was surprised by that. They operate out of their hanger on the south side of Wingfoot Lake (4OH6) (about 3 miles south of where I saw them). The bottom of the class C shelf in this area is 2500 and they were about 500 feet under it. Technically no need for them to be in touch with Akron Approach but I just assumed they would always "check in" with them.

About a week later I happened to meet the Akron Approach supervisor at a FAA Safety seminar. Just mentioned it to her in conversation and we had a good laugh about the controller saying "I don't know if it's the blimp" as there are not very many targets appearing at 2000 feet at 20 knots, but without an identified target, he could not officially confirm it as the blimp.

Return to “Logbook Memories”