almost a head-on with a Bonanza

Look through your logbook and tell us the story behind some memorable entry.
JamieCT

almost a head-on with a Bonanza

Postby JamieCT » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:33 pm

This was a "memorable" flight.. at least this portion of it. Just a quiet early Sept flight over Western Mass and poor communication led to myself and a departing plane flying in opposite directions towards each other! Not my proudest moment, obviously. But one of those dreaded "learning" moments when of course there's video rolling. I added some dialogue to the video to try and explain what I think was going on. I hold myself responsible to the extent that I encouraged the departing pilot to begin his departure procedure, when I clearly don't have that authority, and it probably sped up his flow and hurried him along. Clearly, he was confused and could have used a couple extra minutes getting himself oriented. My intention wasn't to push him along. To the contrary, I was just doing my best to be polite.

Anyways, I thought it would be useful to share. There's always enough humble pie to go around.

Jamie

http://vimeo.com/106074292

Scofreyjet

Re: almost a head-on with a Bonanza

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Jamie, thanks for posting this. Don't know how I missed it previously, but well worth a few minutes to watch. A good lesson in how even a quiet spot like KORE can provide unwanted excitement when assumptions are made and communications aren't quite what they should be. Been there, etc.

Also, nice quality on the Vimeo video. I watched your Lee Bottom departure video while I was on the page - that looks like a sweet field! Hope to get there one day.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Return to “Logbook Memories”