Happy Birthday

Look through your logbook and tell us the story behind some memorable entry.
ruckin

Happy Birthday

Postby ruckin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Happy birthday to my son. He will be 12 in a couple days and what would be more fun than to go flying? KBFI was 4knots of wind 4900 ft ceilings but 1 mile visibility and the rain was coming down in buckets. Dad still hasn't managed to take his intro lesson yet but that doesn't stop us from talking aviation. A friend of my wife managed use her badge so we get inside the fence and sit in a few planes. We put him in the left seat of a DA20 and gave him a cockpit tour. We then did the same in the DA40 and 42! He told me that he liked the twin the best. Special thanks to mom for standing outside and taking pictures
da-40.JPG
da-40.JPG (36.3 KiB) Viewed 2483 times

After sitting in the planes we went inside and it was time to get a ride in the simulator. I was thinking that my son would get an intro flight type of ride or something similar... Nope they fired up the DA42 and made me sit right seat. Even with a booster seat he could hardly see out the front but that was not going to slow him down. We pulled out the check list and started checking off items one by one. Dad helped a bit with the rudder and brakes and the person running the simulator helped navigate the G1000 menus and buttons. Fortunately they adjusted the weather to a nice VFR day and we flew from KBFI - KAPE - KAWO (0.9 hours and 2 landings). We took the scenic route and practiced some turns along the way. When we got done with the engine shutdown checklist my son was presented with his very own log book to remember the flight.

da-42.JPG
da-42.JPG (44.33 KiB) Viewed 2483 times

Being 12 that much activity made him hungry so we went to the other side of the airport to have lunch at the museum of flight. All in all it was a good day. I hope others had a good weekend too!

Ruckin

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Happy Birthday

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Cool. This is how it all starts.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 am

Wow! What a day for dads and kids and first flights...this is great, Ruckin'...and another good one is in Listener Mail, Rob's report on taking his son for his son's first flight...as the man said, this is how it starts...excellent and congrats to all!

Dave

rcigliano

Postby rcigliano » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:41 am

ruckin..

What a great feeling to have your son share in your passion. Congrats and what a GREAT way to spend the day together.

And way to go mom! I am sure she was enjoying this as much as you.

Rob
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

ruckin

Postby ruckin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:23 pm

My son has managed to wangle an young eagles flight, some sim time and is evaluating if he wants to go to the local aviation high school - I think he is hooked... All in all he has had a pretty good summer. Dad on the other hand still has not managed to get an intro flight. I have read a lot of books, listened to podcasts, and surfed the web but have yet to get in a real plane start the engine and actually leave the ground. I also managed to blow the money I had been saving on an emergency septic system rebuild. At the rate I am going my son may take me on my intro flight!

Ruckin

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Money always has a way of being sucked down the sh**er, sometimes literally.

That would be great if he did give you your intro flight. More likely, you could hitch a back seat ride while he's training.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Thats a great story! I started flying at 12 too and wasn't able to use the rudder, brakes or see over the dash until almost I was 14! I feel your pain . . . - its kinda like learning to fly only on instruments and then eventually gaining vision! Good times. Good luck with your ticket and hopefully your son will have the bug too!
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

Return to “Logbook Memories”