"Fresh Annual"

Discussions about buying and owning your own plane.

"Fresh Annual"

Postby kclimie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Been listening to the podcast for a while, even though I'm a zero-time pilot. I am considering the purchase of a Beech C23 Sundowner that would be used for primary instruction by myself and to build hours. The plane I am looking at is listed as having a "fresh annual".

Looking through some threads here which have been informative, it seems that some people, and particularly David is down on a "fresh annual", and I am wondering why that might be?
kclimie

Re: "Fresh Annual"

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 pm

I think that "fresh annual" has some value, but many think it's not a great criteria for judging an airplane you're thinking about buying. It seems to be generally agreed that a pre-purchase inspection, done by an independent mechanic, is the only way to go.

Consider listening to UCAP #66 where our guest Mike Busch shared his vast experience on the mechanical aspects of buying and owning a plane.

http://www.uncontrolledairspace.com/shownotes/066

// Jack
jackhodgson
Site Admin

Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby dgrindstaff » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 am

Jack is absolutely correct in that a pre-purchase inspection in mandatory and since a proper inspection will have the a&p "inside" the airplane you may as well have your guy do an annual inspection for little if any additional cost to you. This is what I did when I purchased my C-182 back in 2010 even though the airplane was only six months out of its last inspection. My mechanic found things that needed correcting which saved me $2,000 since the seller was willing to pay for those items. The key is finding a local, independent a&p that will be working for YOU. Do NOT use anyone that the seller has used before or that the seller has a relationship with. Sellers will always be willing to bring the airplane to your guy as long as he is with a reputable shop. I had a Cessna service center do my inspection and the seller trusted what they found. Good luck but don't trust anyone when it comes to the mechanical well being of any airplane you are about to purchase. BTW, buying my 182 was the best thing I could have done. I used it to do my instrument rating in and I'm very glad I did.
dgrindstaff

Postby turbo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm

also, get someone who" specializes" in the type plane you are interested in. each plane has its known problem areas. non are perfect! good luck with the purchase.
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image
turbo

Return to Aircraft Ownership