Cessna 100's Inspection AD

Discussions about buying and owning your own plane.
kellyrw

Cessna 100's Inspection AD

Postby kellyrw » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 am

Does anybody have any good information/insight into the new inspection AD Cessna is putting out. The AD for the C150 is out, 208 pages. My A&P said that if he charged me $1/hr for the inspection on my 172, I couldn't afford it, and it's repetitive. The consensus among pilots, A&Ps, CFIs and even an FAA inspector around here is that the federal government and Cessna (soon to be followed by Piper) have found a way to rid the airways of any plane older than 15-20 years. The AD involves wing removal, some skin removal, electolytic tests of the airframe, etc., etc. Looking at a probable top-end overhaul in the near future, won't be worth the investment if the scuttlebutt on the AD is correct. Would appreciate any feedback or info from anyone with some insight. Thanks.

voretaq7

Re: Cessna 100's Inspection AD

Postby voretaq7 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 pm

I hadn't heard about this until you mentioned it, but it was in this week's FAA Safety Team email -- Here's what they had to say:

Cessna 100-Series Education Initiative
In 2011, Cessna Aircraft Company launched a safety initiative to educate owners about new inspection procedures designed to help safeguard against corrosion and fatigue. The initiative affects 145,000 airplanes of the 100- and 200-series built between 1946 and 1986. The program stresses visual inspections for both corrosion and cracks caused by metal fatigue.

The latest effort, announced in a recent press release, is aimed at 100-series single-engine piston aircraft owners around the world, and informs them about new supplemental aircraft inspection procedures that will be added to 100-series Cessna service manuals.
The inspection procedures are available at no cost on the Customer Service page of Cessna.com. An interactive presentation is available on their website and you can also find a short video explaining the inspection process on Cessna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/CessnaAircraftCo

To learn more about aging GA aircraft, be sure to also read the article “Too Old to Fly” on page 25 of the Sep/Oct 2011 FAA Safety Briefing. http://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2011/media/SepOct2011TooOld.pdf

The video doesn't look terrible, particularly if you can find an A&P who will let you do some of the disassembly work and reassembly (if you're comfortable doing so) to save yourself the hours involved with that. There is a link to the Cessna customer support site at the end where you can supposedly get the full inspection checklist, but I haven't gone looking myself.

Return to “Aircraft Ownership”