New plane, almost ready for delivery

Discussions about buying and owning your own plane.
JamieCT

New plane, almost ready for delivery

Postby JamieCT » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 am

E350predelivery.jpg
E350predelivery.jpg (84.85 KiB) Viewed 2280 times

I just got back from a trip up to Parry Sound, Ontario. Purpose of the trip was to inspect a plane I'm purchasing and hope to have delivered in a couple of weeks. I've been really excited about the development of Found Aviation's Expedition E350, and put a down payment on one about a year ago. I've been following it's build pretty closely, and the folks at Found have been great about sending me pictures and updates throughout the year... but it's been a really LONG year!

Finally got the plane out of the paint shop, and it's been up for some preliminary flight tests. Looking good so far, and just a few typical tweeks to get it perfect. All that needs to be done next is finalize certification paperwork from Transport Canada and get my initial training done. Problem is, the team is gearing up to take off for AOPA's Summit in Palm Springs... so I have to be patient and wait for their return.

It's a relatively new variation on their FBA-2C2 BushHawkXP that is flown by charter service and bush plane operations in Northern Canada and Alaska. The nose wheel configuration is the biggest change, along with carbon fibre components instead of aluminum surrounding the welded steel cabin. The panel suite is a G500 mfd/pfd with the new touchscreen nav/coms from Garmin. Everything is really well built, sturdy... dare I say 'studly'! The four doors and 1550lbs useful load are a big improvement over my Skylane, and the IO-580 up front is the same beast used in the Extra 300s (although not modified for acro). I'll try and post a picture from my trip, and share some updates when I finally get some flying time.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: New plane, almost ready for delivery

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 am

Congrats. Looks like a cool plane.

Just curious, what kind of flying do you do? Will that change with the new plane?

// Jack

JamieCT

Re: New plane, almost ready for delivery

Postby JamieCT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:34 am

Well... it's a done deal! After numerous delays, and great anticipation, I finally took delivery of a new E-350. I was scheduled to fly up to Canada the day that Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast, so obviously had to stay home and keep things intact. The following week I was able to make my way up to Parry Sound (2 hour drive North of Toronto) and began the training and paperwork involved in taking delivery of a new plane. Again, the weather was an issue, with constant low overcast and flurries in the region... but we got 3 hours of flight time. What a dream to fly! We poked through a hole and climbed up to 9K' and did some air work including all manner of stalls, narrow canyon turns (60-90º bank, accelerated with a hard pull to make a really tight turn.. evasive maneuver). Played around with a short turf strip, at night, and enough pattern work to nail approach speeds and the landing configuration. Then the weather closed in again and I was pretty much stuck there for 3 days. Made the most of a heated hangar and studied the manuals, removed the seats, put them back in, decowled, recowled, addressed minor squawks, sat in the left seat making airplane noises! Finally got out of there on Monday and flew down to Buffalo for customs and import paperwork (pretty easy process)... and then flew home! What a great feeling.

Jack asked about my flying? I have two kids in schools that are near GA airports. One in upstate NY, and another on Cape Cod. So having access to a plane makes visiting them so much more fun and often times convenient. I also participate in flights with Angel Flight, and find it's not always easy for folks with a variety of medical conditions to get in and out of small planes. The 4 large doors and variety of seating configurations should make it a bit easier. I've also done a number of conservation flights with LightHawk, most notably a monitoring project in Wisconsin tracking Whooping Crane nesting activities which involves a lot of low circling maneuvers with radio tracking equipment. The incredible view from the doors should aid in spotting and identifying wildlife... and eventually we're hoping to get an STC approved that would allow door-off flights for a photography platform. Right now, I'm just enjoying getting familiar with the flight characteristics, and trying hard not to make that first inevitable scratch on the lustrous finish! I did take my parents up the day after I got home, to celebrate the delivery. We flew up to Portsmouth on a CAVU day and had some fun at Hampton (turf field) and some good lunch in Portsmouth. They were thrilled... as am I!

here's a link to a load of pictures documenting the entire build, and the trip home.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n1774h_fli ... 905270874/

Looking forward to showing up to some future UCAP fly-ins... and definitely planning on SnF and Oshkosh

Cheers! Jamie

Return to “Aircraft Ownership”