End of one era, start of another

Discussions about buying and owning your own plane.
JimP

End of one era, start of another

Postby JimP » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:26 pm

The end of January through early February was a busy time for me. In a one-week span, I participated in an owner-assisted annual on my 75 Grumman Traveler, then sold it to a gentleman from Atlanta. One day later, I flew to Wyoming to pick up a 78 Commander 114 Hot Shot...

Much as I loved flying the Grumman AA5 Traveler (a really sweet airplane), my wife didn't like to fly in it. It was just too "crowded" when we flew together. (I should mention at this point that I'm over 250 lbs, so the "crowding" is pretty much all my fault...) After giving it a lot of thought, we decided that we really needed a roomier airplane, one that can handle longer trips and get above some of the weather.

So after much soul-searching, we decided on a Rockwell Commander 114 Hot Shot (with the turbo-normalizing system from RCM). The one I found was located way up in Wyoming (cold country). Arranged with the owner to have him take it to Spearfish, SD for a pre-buy inspection by an A&P/IA who used to be a dealer for Rockwell and knew the airplanes reasonably well. The airplane was pretty much as represented, except we found one SB that had not been complied with. The owner agreed to split the cost of that SB with me, and the deal was done. We turned the pre-buy into a full-blown annual inspection, had the mags rebuilt, and purchased / installed an EI CGR-30P engine monitor with fuel flow. Having flown with a full-blown digital engine monitor, I never want to be without one again, and the CGR-30P is a real sweetheart. After some delays for parts and weather (did I mention that it was REALLY COLD up there?), it looked like everything was coming together for taking delivery of the airplane the first week of February.

Meanwhile, I got the Grumman ready to sell. Cleaned up, pictures taken, and got it listed online. Listing went up Thursday night. On Friday morning, we had a buyer who was "very interested" and after answering a couple of questions for him, on Saturday morning my broker had a deposit check in her hand, at my asking price. The buyer wanted to have it flown to a Grumman "guru" for a pre-buy, and was thrilled when I told him I was headed to Fredricksburg the following Monday to have the annual inspection done by David Fletcher, probably the foremost "guru" of the Grumman family. We arranged for him to join me there for the owner-assisted (and future-owner-assisted) annual. We had one unexpected "surprise" on the annual: The prop clearance was a bit towards the "low end" of the acceptable range. It seems that the torque tube (basically the suspension for the nose gear) was slightly "fatigued" and was sagging a bit. Not too surprising really, on a 39-year-old airplane. Even though it was within acceptable limits, I chose to have it replaced with a serviceable used part from FletchAir's stock. It cost me a bit of money, but I figured I would sleep a lot better if I took care of it before the sale to the new (low-time pilot) owner. And since he had not tried to beat me up on the price of the airplane... He was very happy with the results, and everything proceeded smoothly with the financial transactions. It was king of tough to watch him fly away in "my" airplane... Kind of like watching your first kid get married...

But no time to sit around -- I had to get to Wyoming to pick up the Commander! My wife picked me up for the drive back to Dallas (funny how a less-than 2-hour flight turns into a 6+ hour drive). The next morning, I flew American Airlines to South Dakota, where the owner met us for the 2-hour drive to his home in Wyoming where we spent the night. I had hired a CFI with a bunch of Commander experience to fly up with me, do the the insurance-required 2-hour checkout sign-off, and then fly it back with me. I wanted more than a 2-hour checkout before turning myself loose with the Commander, and given the cold weather and precipitation in the forecast, I wanted an experienced instrument pilot along, just in case. As it turned out, we turned it into a BFR, since we covered everything required (and then some).

The night before we left Wyoming, it was -26ºF. The weatherman said "But don't worry, it could warm up all the way to 0ºF by late in the afternoon." It didn't. It was about -12ºC (-24ºF) when we took off, and surprisingly, it was "only" -35ºC at altitude. Still pretty darned cold, however! Our first leg was to Oshkosh (no, not THAT Oshkosh - Oshkosk, Nebraska) to refuel. That's because we took the scenic route, first doing some sightseeing around Devil's Tower (which you may remember from the movie "Close Encounters"), then Mount Rushmore, then over to the Crazy Horse monument. Pretty amazing, and ATC was very accommodating - guess not too many people around in February! Super cold air means great climb, and no clouds or weather systems (up there) meant absolutely smooth air. Great flying! Our next leg wasn't quite as fun. We climbed to 9,500 ft (no oxygen on board, so we stayed "legal") to give the turbo-normalizer a little work-out. Over 1,200 fpm all the way up, given that the TN keeps sea-level power up to 18,000 ft! Leveled out, leaned to 100º rich of peak, a bit over 150 KCAS, for a TAS of about 162 knots. A bit of a tailwind gave us 168 knots groundspeed on the GPS. By playing around a bit with the GPS and EI engine monitor (with fuel flow), we were able to tweak to a power setting / airspeed combo that would get us back to McKinney (KTKI) non-stop, landing with a full hour of fuel on board (my personal minimum). We did have to descend through a cloud layer to get into the Dallas area, so I was glad to have the Instrument-Rated pilot along.

So, after 6.5 hours of flying, N5842N was home. We even had time to get Steve (the CFI) to the airport so he could be home with his family that night. Pretty cool! Now I'm looking forward to getting to know the airplane better, and using it for charity flights (Angel Flight, Pilots-N-Paws, etc.). Life is truly good!
Jim Parker
N5842N - 78 Commander 114 Hot Shot (Turbo Normalized)

Scofreyjet

Re: End of one era, start of another

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Wow, that's an awesome story Jim - thanks for sharing, and here's to many happy (not-so-crowded) hours in the Commander!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:16 am

Agreed, great story. Thanks.

And it sounds like you've found yourself a great new adventure airplane. Congrats. Hope you'll keep us informed on your travels.

// Jack

j.

SkiandflyUtah

Postby SkiandflyUtah » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Congratulations Jim, welcome to Commander ownership, you'll get to love the plane.

Be sure to flight plan an additional 15 minutes at each fuel stop for answering questions from inquiring admirers.

As the summer temps in Utah are starting to push the 90's I'm really appreciating the performance increase the Hotshot turbo provides. I had to fly it the other day without operating the turbo due to a minor glitch with the TIT probe and I really missed the added power on climb out.

Recently flew out of Steamboat Springs, CO at 6,900 MSL, 8,400 DA with a 4,400 ft runway and used about a third of the runway or less. Turbo's rock!

SkiandflyUtah

Postby SkiandflyUtah » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:26 pm

Congratulations Jim, welcome to Commander ownership, you'll get to love the plane.

Be sure to flight plan an additional 15 minutes at each fuel stop for answering questions from inquiring admirers.

As the summer temps in Utah are starting to push the 90's I'm really appreciating the performance increase the Hotshot turbo provides. I had to fly it the other day without operating the turbo due to a minor glitch with the TIT probe and I really missed the added power on climb out.

Recently flew out of Steamboat Springs, CO at 6,900 MSL, 8,400 DA with a 4,400 ft runway and used about a third of the runway or less. Turbo's rock!

Return to “Aircraft Ownership”