MY newest airplane

Discussions about buying and owning your own plane.
mike.smith

MY newest airplane

Postby mike.smith » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 pm

On Saturday, June 21, 2014, Sonex N439M made it's first flight from the 6B6 Minuteman airport in Stow, MA. The AeroVee powered, standard gear, plans-built aircraft flew perfectly during it's 20 minute flight. Thanks to all my friends who helped over the last five years, and especially to my wife Gail for her continuous support.

A first flight video is here: http://youtu.be/sOp9UugkzC0

Everyone took video, and no stills, of the flight, so the best pictures I have are frame captures from the video.The other picture is a very happy me after landing.

I went back up in the afternoon for a half hour. Better take-off. OK landing. Engine ran great (AeroVee). Did some steep turns, a little zero-G, some slow flight, and lots of "enjoying the scenery". Stayed within gliding distance of the airport, puttering around at about 3,000'. The plane flew really smoothly. I can't quite tell if I have a slightly heavy right wing. I need to fly it a few more times. But if it is, it's not much I really felt comfortable up there after the first 15 minutes (of the 2nd flight).

So only 39.2 hours to go before I can share the enjoyment. Everything was running so well today, it REALLY seems a shame to have to fly 40 hours in a test area!

And if anyone is wondering, scratch building (including building the AeroVee Volkswagen engine) took me 5.25 years and 2,300 hours, and about $25K all-in.

Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Attachments
Smile!.JPG
Smile!.JPG (182.73 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Take Off.JPG
Take Off.JPG (40.08 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Sonex N439M
Scratch-built tail dragger

Scofreyjet

Re: MY newest airplane

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Mike, that is AWESOME! Congratulations man! I've been following your build log for much of the time you worked on it, and I truly admire your dedication to this project.

Very, very cool...
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Laminar

Postby Laminar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Congratulations, Mike!

Next UCAP meetup at Stow!

-Rick

mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am

I can't wait to be able to take passengers, so I can do this with Jack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSZ-uEP3c84

;-)

Mike
Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Sonex N439M

mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 am

Laminar wrote:Congratulations, Mike!

Next UCAP meetup at Stow!

-Rick

Actually, Nancy's Airfield Cafe at Stow is an awesome restaurant! And the runway was just repaved last week. I was one of the first planes to fly off of it on that first flight. I know I was the first tail dragger :-)

Mike
Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Sonex N439M

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Mike,

You are to be congratulated! Taking raw material and crafting a flying machine, particularly one which has performed so well on its first flight, is a rare accomplishment. Few efforts make more of a contribution to aviation than building and flying your own airplane. It's been 17 years since I first flew my Co-Z, and reading your post brought back all the memories. Thanks!

Brian....

Return to “Aircraft Ownership”