Proud new owner

Discussions about buying and owning your own plane.
IdahoMike

Proud new owner

Postby IdahoMike » Sat May 30, 2009 5:08 pm

This past February, I took the plunge and bought a brand new 1960 Cessna 182. I credit listening to UCAP as a major enabling support in making the decision. I passed that along via twitter and emails, but figured it should be added to the forums as well. I can honestly say that soloing an airplane was pretty cool, getting the ticket was even cooler, but having a plane I of my own is simply the coolest. I now have the freedom to fly whenever I want to.

So far, I have been flying the wings off the plane on small business trips. I live in Idaho and have a contract in Washington state that involves a 350 NM commute from my home airport. Commercial flights burn most of a day and half an AMU with no schedule flexibility or a full AMU to get a refundable/transferable ticket. There is no question in my mind that my business has benefitted from my ability to drop in when the client needs me and leave when I am done. Since picking it up the plane at the very end of February I have flown 40+ hours. I mostly fly it for business trips but have taken it into the Utah backcountry for a spring break trip to Hidden Splendor airstrip near Hanksville and took it to a fly in at Lava Hotsprings in Idaho last weekend. Yesterday I took a ride over to Seattle to visit a buddy outside of Seattle.

I plan now that I have a single platform to operate, I will be pursuing an IFR as time and budget allows. So far, ownership has been the pinnacle of my life as a pilot.

As I was leaving for a quick day trip 150 NM to Harvey Field area yesterday (see airport restaraunt listing) I realized that owning a plane means my back yard got a lot bigger. Just need more time and money now...

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Proud new owner

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat May 30, 2009 11:09 pm

Congratulations!

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun May 31, 2009 12:42 pm

me too on the congradulations
good to see a fine bird put to good use

and thanks for the pic of the an-2, a plane after my own heart
I'll be headed up that way for Arlington and maybe I'll be able to give it a touchy/feely and a pick with my champ beside it, close to greatness.
I know not many think of an an-2 as great, but not many think of an Aeronca as a long legged cross country machine either. :lol:
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun May 31, 2009 12:49 pm

champguy wrote:I know not many think of an an-2 as great, but not many think of an Aeronca as a long legged cross country machine either.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun May 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Wow, Mike! WAY COOL, MAN!!

A big congrats!

Fun to hear the enthusiasm and pride in your post's "voice"...understand the sensation...

And proud for whatever small role our little gang might have had...nothing better to hear -- and equal to hearing about new pilots, new students, etc.

Waytogo!

Dave

IdahoMike

Postby IdahoMike » Sun May 31, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks guys. I still keep pinching myself. Champ Guy, You can definitely taxi right up to that AN2 for your photo opp. If you do a google earth view of Harvey field, you can see that AN2 from space, what a monster. Wasn't it the plane that Dave H. said handles like an Allis Chalmers tractor (only heavier on the controls)?

Return to “Aircraft Ownership”