Do prop strikes count?

Discussions about buying and owning your own plane.
ruckin

Do prop strikes count?

Postby ruckin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:14 pm

While perusing I saw a add for a SR22 that seemed odd. It has the claim "No damage history, prop strike in 2008." the ad

Do prop strikes count as damage? And if not is it "easy" to do in a nose dragger without causing other damage?

I am not sure why I even looked at the listing as one of the requirements for me to buy a plane is that I don't need to write any commas on the check. :|

Ruckin

My son got a young eagles ride on saturday and I was stuck on the ground :( On the way home he asked if we could clean the garage today so we could start building an RV6 just like the one he took a ride in. (woots)

champguy

Re: Do prop strikes count?

Postby champguy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Sounds like he enjoyed the ride, and the RV-6 is a great plane. But there are quicker and cheaper was to get in the air, and to get something to fly while building that ultimate machine. Three days ago, at Indepedence , OR I saw a Beking Duce with an O-235 ready to go for 19 grand asking. Sweet.

As for the prop strike, as far as I know, it is cause for a tear down to properly inspect the crank and a bunch of other stuff inside. There are those who claim that if it wasn't a sudden stoppage, ie. just shaved the tips a bit, and if the flange is still on straight then it is good to go. If that is all that happened, I'm surprised he is admitting it, because the cost of the plane should reflect the cost of the tear down. Then who is going to pay for any damage found?
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Do prop strikes count?

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:23 pm

A prop strike is a mandatory tear down as far as I know. The ad said that the "plane has had rebuilt prop and major engine components (pistons, valves, ect) at 1000 hours..." It's got 1100 hours now and the prop strike was last year. Presumably, the engine and prop were torn down and rebuilt after the prop strike.

It might be a great deal because there are a lot of folks who wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. It's probably a great plane at a great price as long as you do your due diligence right.

The NDH should probably be no airframe damage history. I'm not sure what you're supposed to assume with an NDH statement. For me it's kind of like the statement "runs great." It sounds good but in the end it is almost meaningless because you have to judge for yourself.

Return to “Aircraft Ownership”