Clearance Delivery @ non-towered fields

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
soakingpilot

Clearance Delivery @ non-towered fields

Postby soakingpilot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:56 pm

A quick IFR question. All of my instrument training was done at a busy class Delta airport KBED with its own clearance delivery frequency. I am now flying out of KPYM, a non towered airport but with a Clearance Delivery freq on the IAP's.
My question is what is the proper format for use of this channel since I am not at the airport whose frequency I am using. I assume that I would say something such as "Clearance Delivery on the ground at PYM ready to copy"? Further whose clearance delivery am I speaking too. The nearest airport with one is KHYA but it does not specify and the freq is different their so I am a little unclear.

A link to the PYM chart.
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://204 ... 95ILD6.PDF

Dave Higdon

Re: Clearance Delivery @ non-towered fields

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Good question...and a smart one, to boot...

If memory serves, that Clearance Delivery freq is for the Approach Control facility that covers the area, in your case, according to the plate, Cape Approach Control. Since, per the plate, it's their airspace, believe it's their freq...

As for the radio etiquette, I'd simply key up (ready to go, of course) and say, Clearance Delivery, November yadda-yadda at Poppa Yankee Mike to pick up my clearance to Xray Yankee Whatever, ready to copy..."

If you're unsure of the facility, wouldn't even use the name...It's not like there's apt to be another Clearance Delivery operation elsewhere on the same freq -- at least, not another one within range ;) ...

And, if you want to be sure, ask...

Happy flying!

Dave

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:14 pm

I know that one non-towered airport in my area has the same situation. There is actually an FAA radio receiver and transmitter right on the field. So, you'll hear each other loud and clear.

soakingpilot

Postby soakingpilot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Ah yes and thanks for the reply's. Found out that yes in fact it is Cape Approach this morning and it was loud and clear. I'm not gonna lie though I had visions of an FAA gnome on the field who hangs out and gives out clearances when needed which would be cool as well.

Cheers

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey Soakingpilot,

FWIW, I fly out of (depart from) quite a few non-towered fields here in Michigan which do not have published approaches, therefore no published clearance delivery freq's.

The next best thing is to get the phone number of the nearest tower or ARTCC. They will give you a clearance over the phone, with an expire time. (ie: ".....if not off by 9.15 clearance is void, time now 9.04"). The phone clearance will be just like a normal IFR clearance complete with frequency to contact when airbone and clear of the pattern.

~LB

Landis

Postby Landis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:16 pm

To add to Lima Bravo's comment - the local number is great and faster if you know it, but there is a National Clearance Delivery phone number that you can use to get your release - 888 766-8267

Return to “Aviation Answers”