Tipping

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
DCFlyer

Tipping

Postby DCFlyer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 pm

I am a new student pilot with less than 15 hours of training. My flight instructor is great and the school in general is good as well. At the end of my training is it customary to tip an instructor?

champguy

Re: Tipping

Postby champguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Not unless you treat him like a waiter. He is a professional, not a service worker, even if he is not being as well paid as he should be for the level of training he has and the responsibilities he accepts.
Better to buy him a nece dinner from time to time and talk shop.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

DCFlyer

Postby DCFlyer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:52 pm

I think the beer or dinner is the best choice. Thanks for the input.

TheChartLady

Postby TheChartLady » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 pm

I made a hand-knitted blanket for my instructor (good ol' southern boy) who flew through the winter with me in a drafty 152 (whose door would not stay shut on his side) so I could earn my private ticket.

Jan
The Chart Lady --

Jan Squillace
"Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape".

fordan

Postby fordan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:23 pm

I bought my CFI an iPhone when he got me through my PP-ASEL. But that was mostly because we had been talking about it for months prior, going through all the aviation apps available, etc. I probably would have just done a meal or drink or something absent that common interest, and probably won't do the same for future ratings. You only become a pilot once. :)

Return to “Aviation Answers”