Flying through Smoke

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
PropFan

Flying through Smoke

Postby PropFan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:56 am

While flying from the Kansas City area to Augusta, KS (near Wichita), I ended up flying through about 30 minutes worth of smoke. It is traditional for ranchers in the Kansas Flint Hills to burn their pastures in the spring as part of their prairie management program, and it is not uncommon for smoke to reach high altitudes across nearly the entire North-South length of the state. Surprisingly, this was not noted when I got my standard briefing from Flight Services, and there was no opportunity to divert around the smoke. The smoke density varied, but visibility in the thickest parts was probably 5 to 7 miles at 3500 feet MSL. The cloud layer prevented me from going any higher.

I was not wild about my engine ingesting all that dirty air, and I earnestly hoped the air filter was catching all the bad stuff. What do you think?

champguy

Re: Flying through Smoke

Postby champguy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 pm

I tried out climbing smoke in hot eastern Oregon high desert once in a C-150 taildragger with 160 HP converson. Gave up at about 10.000 ft when I lost ground reference and headed into Bend OR to try another day. Turns out there is a strip club there next to the Motel.
Smoke is good.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PropFan

Re: Flying through Smoke

Postby PropFan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm

I had my wife with me, so diverting to the nearest Chicken Ranch was definitely not an option.

Return to “Aviation Answers”