AME Question

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
DCFlyer

AME Question

Postby DCFlyer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:59 am

I posted this under another topic (Central Flight Surgeon) but I thought my question might warrant its own heading. Hopefully someone has some experience with the topic. Thanks...

I have had a similar issue here in the DC area with an AME doctor (Scott Samuels). I should have ran out the door when he told me that flying was dangerous! The exam was for my 3rd class medical (so I can solo). When I got ready to leave he said that he had to refer my medical to OKC for an issue I had ten years ago that has since been cleared up completely. I even had a physical from my primary care doctor before my flight physical. I was dumbfounded. I also reviewed the AME guide and found no reasons why he would need to defer me.

He did not give me any information other than I should call OKC in a few weeks. When I did call OKC they had not received any information from the AME. I had to call his office and have them "send" the deferral again.
The worst thing about this guy was the woeful lack of information he provided. I am new to this and he was not helpful at all.

My concerns are not sour grapes. I am well aware of the precautions taken by the FAA in order to ensure flight safety. In my case, I am certain this is one of lack of knowledge, indifference or both. If anyone knows how long it takes OKC to look at deferments I would like to know since they are not giving me any time frames or information. Alternatively if there are other avenues I can pursue to expedite the process. Could I go to another AME for a medical even though I have already had one?

kswim94

Re: AME Question

Postby kswim94 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:49 pm

This one's a little over my head, and I'm sure there are more senior pilots out there with better answers. But AOPA's web page has a forum (forums.aopa.org) for "medical matters." What's great about that particular forum is that a few AME's tend to lurk and will often chime in with answers. THOSE are the guys that know how things get done in OKC.

I'm not sure if you need to be an AOPA member to sign on. If you're not a member, I definitely recommend becoming one.

Congrats on your flight training. Make sure you update us on your solo!

fordan

Postby fordan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 am

You do need to be an AOPA member to get to the forums; if you try to go to the forums without having first logged into the main http://www.aopa.org page you get a weird cookie error and punted back to http://www.aopa.org.

However, joining AOPA is a great idea and a great value, plus student pilots can get a free 6 month membership with subscription to Flight Training magazine at this link.

DCFlyer

Postby DCFlyer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 am

I am member of AOPA. I called the medical section there and they gave me some great advice. I found an AME (who is a pilot) that has agreed to advocate on my behalf. Hopefully the whole mess will be cleared up in a week or so.

DCFlyer

Postby DCFlyer » Mon May 03, 2010 2:13 pm

An update. I went to an AME who was a pilot and he worked on my behalf with the regional FAA in NY. I got my 3rd Class Cert today!

kswim94

Postby kswim94 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 pm

That's great news! Keep us posted with your training and solo!

Return to “Aviation Answers”