Courtesy Car Etiquette

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
PropFan

Courtesy Car Etiquette

Postby PropFan » Fri May 21, 2010 3:41 pm

We will be flying to an area airport this weekend that has a courtesy car. We're going to drive into town for lunch and then go to a local museum. We'll have the car for about four hours and probably put on 15-25 miles. I assume it is expected that we would top off the tank or at least add a few gallons as compensation for our use. Any other "etiquette" issues or traditions I should be aware of? (I'll do my best not to wreck the car. :D )

champguy

Re: Courtesy Car Etiquette

Postby champguy » Fri May 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Top up the gas if it needs it, for sure.
I once brought back a loaner and handed the guy a twenty for a new used front left tire, one that didn't have cord showing. I hope he got one because I hope to use that car again this summer.
Remember these cars are often donated to the airport because a dealer wouldn't even take them as a trade-in. They can be run-out, run-down, and unsafe at any speed. All part of the adventure of seeing new places. Oh, and un-insured. Drive carefully, and have a great visit.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Fri May 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks, Champguy. We're going to the Amelia Earhart Museum in Atchison, KS. Really looking forward to it.

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Mon May 24, 2010 9:41 am

Champguy, boy did you peg it: "run-out, run-down, and unsafe at any speed"! The courtesy car at K59 (a retired police car) was a real bowser and was literally running on fumes when we were handed the keys. But, I can't complain, it got us into town and back. Leta, the FBO manager, was a delight.

Wana Be A Blimp Pimp

Postby Wana Be A Blimp Pimp » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:50 pm

I used to work at the largest auto auction company in the US Manahiem as a driver and I find it hard to belive that there is a car that a dealer would not take for trade in. Why you ask well ive taken cars infested with roaches through the auction ones that the door wouldnt open and you had to climb out the window ones with no seats ones with no dash ones that were flooded and growing mold ones that I swear somone died in and sat in for a week and alot of those sold. belive it or not. So "dealer wouldnt take" nah dealer gave the FBO a cheap price on maybe :mrgreen:. Did I mention the one that would rev its self when you had the breaks on or the one that would turn off and roll all the windows down. :P Also remeber if they cant sell it on the lot and it costs more to get it to auction than they think it is worth they will junk it as you can get a few 100 for almost any thing from a junk yard. More likley actualy the airport gets them through car donation programs and church donation program as the cars owner chose not to trade it in at the insanley low rate the dealer was going to give them for it. Thats how they do the drag it in pull it in etc deals they run on the radio the cars go through the auction every thing that dosent sell gets parted off or junked and the rest they made up on the front end as dealer fees and eronous charges or the back end of the financing. Interestingly some of the classic bodie styles and muscel cars go directly to restoration shops though.

Return to “Aviation Answers”