1st class medical with 20/25

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
Warren

1st class medical with 20/25

Postby Warren » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Title just about sums it up, I'll try and keep this one brief.

I have a nasty astigmatism that makes glasses pretty useless and gives doctors a lot of trouble with fitting me for contacts. After about a year long effort I finally found a doctor that could properly fit me with contacts. Compared to my old contacts from my general eye doctor the results are amazing. On the first fit he got my right eye from 20/35 to 20/20 and my left eye from 20/50 to 20/25. I still have a couple more fittings to go, that might even get my left eye to 20/20. But I'd be less worried if I could pass a 1st class medical with 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other.

Any UCAP crew/fellow listeners know how I'd fair? Would I need a special issuance of some kind over those 5 points? :shock:

PropFan

Re: 1st class medical with 20/25

Postby PropFan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Warren

Re: 1st class medical with 20/25

Postby Warren » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks, I'm saving that. It's definitely something I can refer to in the future. "An applicant for a medical certificate who is unable to meet the standards may be issued a certificate on a discretionary basis" I guess that's what you wanted me to see. Guess I shouldn't have to much of a problem then, and the part about 99% ultimately getting they're certificate was also encouraging.

Return to “Aviation Answers”