Flying to Maine

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
kswim94

Flying to Maine

Postby kswim94 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Flying the family up for a week in Bar Harbor next week in our Grumman Tiger.

Listening to other pilots, I've been told to avoid using Bar Harbors airport (KBHB) due to the chance of fog rolling in and not leaving for days. A number of folks I know have used Augusta (KAUG) frequently, but, giving that my MIL is picking us up (no rentals available on Saturday after noon), the 2 1/2 hour drive to Bar Harbor sounds like a bit much to ask for. Bangor (KBGR) is a large airport with a precision approach and the closest of my options, but have heard questions with how GA friendly they are. That leaves my with Old Town (KOLD) and Pittsfield (2b7) - both about 1 1/2 hour drives, but no precision approaches (flying /U) - so that leaves me with their NDB approaches.

So I'd like to hear from pilots familiar with the area. Between Bangor, Old Town and Pittsfield, what do you recommend?

JHWellington

Re: Flying to Maine

Postby JHWellington » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 am

I'm confused: I originally thought you were VFR only and therefore didn't want to go into BHB due to fog, but you mention precision approaches at two airports. Are you IFR rated?

kswim94

Postby kswim94 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Sorry - didn't mean to confuse.

I am IFR rated. But my rating is only about 2 yrs old, so dense fog, with wife and two kids on board, exceeds my personal minimums. Given the distance we're flying (from Central Ohio) I'll definitely file IFR to and from with fuel stops at Westfield, MA or Schenectady, NY on the way.

turbo

Postby turbo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:18 pm

its been nice here on the east coast. west field is still under $4 and full service. they have a great restaurant too. enjoy your stay.
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm

I'd give BGR a try. The two times I had fog over BHB I was able to get in, so I've never actually landed there, but both times the ceilings were at least 500 ft higher there than at BHB. I guess it's due to being farther inland.

Good luck.

Return to “Aviation Answers”