Lindbergh's BFR

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Lindbergh's BFR

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Having breakfast with my 84 year old Dad this morning, he was asking me whether I had to get my Pilot's License "renewed".

I told him how I needed to get approved by a CFI every two years, and how I needed to see a doctor every two years as well. "To make sure I'm not gonna faint," I said.

He thought about this for a few seconds, and asked, "I wonder if Lindbergh had to do that?"

I laughed and said, "probably not."

But that got me to thinking, I wonder what the requirements were back then?

I'm gonna do some research, and I've put this on "the list" for episode 208, but I'm wondering if any of you folks can fill me in.

What were the recurrency requirements back in the late 20s?

// Jack

BTW, how cool is it that my Dad thinks of me and Lindbergh in the same way?

champguy

Re: Lindbergh's BFR

Postby champguy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 pm

You are both pioneers, but there a lot more pilots than podcasters.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:04 am

Very cool!

BTW you could always ask Dave... :shock: :twisted:
Caelus latus sursum

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 pm

The flight reviews are a relatively new thing. I think they came about in the early or mid 70's, but not 100% sure about that. As far as medicals go, I have no idea but I suspect there was some sort of examination.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:59 am

Two things come to mind. First, I was at an AOPA safety seminar in Fort Worth this Monday and the presenter at one point said that they had asked the Alaska FSDO chief what kind of goals he had for the coming year and he said jokingly that his stretch goal was to try and get 52% of active pilots to become certificated pilots.

Second, I flew out of the Danbury, Connecticut airport for a while where people will proudly tell you that Lindburgh taught his kids to fly out of there. Even having a very distant, barely connected relationship to Charles Lindburgh seems to be something special to aviators to hold dear. It's that "1-6 right" magic of flight and sense of history thing that you really can't describe. It just is.

Royski

Postby Royski » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:34 pm

I've been reading Lindbergh's "Wartime Journals" and this comes up there in about 1941 or 1942 - something about some new regulations and having to get checked out again. I don't recall any more details, unfortunately.

The book is a good read, though quite long at just over 1000 pages.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Well...can't seem to find the cite that I saved long ago that addressed the genesis of the BFR...but the observation is correct: it's a product of the 1970s, if memory holds...and the re-test Lindbergh wrote of came from a change in aviation oversight with new requirements...believe everyone had to submit to something of a second check ride...but after that -- until the BFR came along, that is -- you were good forever...

Return to “Aviation Answers”