Medical Question

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
squawk7500

Medical Question

Postby squawk7500 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Can someone answer this for me?

I'm looking to have a sepotplasty done on the septum in my nose. How long do I need to wait before flying again? Do I need to get checked out by an AME or can the ENT clear me?
Tom Freundl
PP - ASEL / HP
Advanced Scout & Anti-Terrorist Security Patrol

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qka8g65IuM"]My Kids First Flight - Father's Day 2010[/url]

Greg Bockelman

Re: Medical Question

Postby Greg Bockelman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Don't need to see the AME again. Really, the bottom line is that you are off all medication for a period of time, and your doc says you can. The period of time depends on the drugs, I believe.

squawk7500

Postby squawk7500 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks Greg - This is the first time I've ever had surgery - let alone being knocked out....so I'm trying to understand it to be safe. I'll probably talk to an AME just to be safe and see what their opinion is.
Tom Freundl
PP - ASEL / HP
Advanced Scout & Anti-Terrorist Security Patrol

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qka8g65IuM"]My Kids First Flight - Father's Day 2010[/url]

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 pm

squawk7500 wrote:Thanks Greg - This is the first time I've ever had surgery - let alone being knocked out....so I'm trying to understand it to be safe. I'll probably talk to an AME just to be safe and see what their opinion is.

Go to the Red Board or the Blue Board and ask Dr. Bruce Chien. He will give you a real world honest answer.

The only thing you will ultimately have to do is report the doctor's visit and the surgery on your next medical application.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:42 am

squawk7500 wrote:I'll probably talk to an AME just to be safe and see what their opinion is.

I'd use caution about this.

I'm not suggesting that you conceal anything, but I try to keep interactions with the AME who issues my medical to a real minimun. I give him all the info he needs or asks for, and no more.

You might have hypothetical conversation with a different AME. Or call AOPA -- sadly it may cost more now, but -- they have a good staff that is there to answer question about medicals and medical requirements & procedures.

I'm no AME or lawyer, but my understanding is, if you have a good faith belief that you are recovered and once again within the specs of your medical class, then it's OK to fly.

// Jack

Return to “Aviation Answers”