Part 103: two stroke engines: Frazier Lake Airpark, CA (1C9)

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
Saahbs

Part 103: two stroke engines: Frazier Lake Airpark, CA (1C9)

Postby Saahbs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi,

I'm a certificated sport pilot who trained in Evektor SportStars (>88kt) and I'm relocating from rural illinois (Cushing Field in Newark IL 0C8) to Sillicon Valley.

I'm thinking of aircraft ownership and really like the Aerolite-103/Phoenix-103 design. There was one in Cushing and it flew like a much bigger bird (at least to an observer). What are your opinions of modern aviation designed MZ-34, Hirth F-33, etc.. two stroke engines (dual ignition, pre-mix, free-air, belt reduction drive)?

I set my eyes on Frazier Lake Airpark south of Sillicon Valley, but I haven't yet been able to reach them by phone.

Do they allow part 103 there?

with/without insurance?

1C9 is located in rural area, so part103 operations look to be feasible and safe (2-stroke..). Have you flown there? Are there any sport pilot FBOs/rentals there?

Any general input on SportPilot flying in (south) Bay Area would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Saahbs
Last edited by Saahbs on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Part 103: two stroke engines: Frazier Lake Airpark, CA (1C9)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 pm

I've been gone from that area for over ten years, so this could all be very outdated, but...

Frazer Lake was a private field. I seem to remember that it was maxed out in terms of hangar/ramp vacancies. One thing interesting about it was that it had two "runways". One grass, and one parallel runway that was water, a channel for float planes to land on.

I don't recall there being either an FBO, nor rentals, nor fuel. And a quick look at airnav.com suggests that that's still the case. On the other hand I'd be surprised if there weren't some ultralight ops there.

If FL turns out not to work for you, let me suggest you consider the nearby South County. Closer to Silicon Valley, it's a county owned, paved field. When I was there there was a friendly community, and fuel, and a rental op on the field. And across the street is the small but charming Wings of History aviation museum.

Further away from Silicon Valley is Hollister, one of the coolest GA fields in central Calif if you ask me. Rentals, fuel, glider ops, parachuting, warbirds on the field, and one of the Calif Aerial Firefighting bases. Lots of cool activity there all the time.

And don't forget Watsonville, on the coast just south of Santa Cruz. Rentals, fuel, an EAA chapter on field, and a wide variety of planes based there. Home of a very nice annual airshow. Formerly the location of a great restaurant, but I understand it's closed now. One downside about Watsonville is that the coastal fog can sock you in, or out, at a moment's notice.

One thing to keep in mind about any/all of these fields. When I was there 10 years ago, the waiting list for renting a hangar at any field within a 2 hr drive of the Bay, was years long. Many years long.

Having said all that, California is a great place to fly. The terrain is a fascinating variety of styles, there are airports everywhere, and the climate allows comfortable flying all year round.

Have fun. Let us know how it turns out.

// Jack

Saahbs

Postby Saahbs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for notes Jack. I'll see what the hangar situation is now - no point saving money for aircraft if I can't hangar it...

Saahbs

Postby Saahbs » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 pm

:) good news, south county airport (E16) has hangars available for rent today (size/cost is another topic...).

I'm still looking for current county rules on part-103 operations, but a document I found (one a few years old) did allow part-103 operations with $100,000 liability coverage and registering the ultralight with Santa Clara county. So this looks doable.

Hollister Municipal (KCVH) has an active EAA UL110 ultralight chapter and apparently there may be an "ultralights hangar" there.

I spoke with the manager/president of Frazier Lake and he wasn't sure of part-103 people operating there... but they have no rules against 103.

So part-103 in Bay Area is doable as of Q1/2012 - I'm documenting this for future readers.

Thanks, Saahbs

(back to juggling between part-103, sonex or onex in my mind... - I already have sonex plans, started scratch building it and I did attend their builders workshop at KOSH before I got my sport pilot cert last year).

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:53 pm

That's great to hear about hangar availability. It was always quite discouraging that getting a hangar was basically impossible. South County is a nice airport. Easy driving access to Silicon Valley to the north. And ready flying access to the ocean (west), central valley (east) and southern california (south).

Good luck.

// Jack

Return to “Aviation Answers”