Camping with your Cessna

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
Paulie_P

Camping with your Cessna

Postby Paulie_P » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Has anyone hung a hammock under the wing of their Cessna 172? One of the wing tie-down eyelets seems safe. How about the other side attached to the shoulder harness mount point? The door would have to be left open during use. What do you think?
Paul Pilipshen - Aviator
You can use my full name. I try not to write anything I wouldn't stand behind.

JimP

Re: Camping with your Cessna

Postby JimP » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:56 am

I would NOT try to hang a hammock from the tie-down ring. The tie-down ring are engineered to handle vertical tension loads (wind over the wing causing the airplane to "lift"). They are NOT engineered to handle massive side-loads (shear) such as a hammock supporting your body weight would generate. The structure around the tie-down could be weakened or damaged. I would think it would not be worth the risk of damaging the spar, and I would never do it. Remember that everything on an airplane is designed to be "just strong enough" while remaining light enough to fly.

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Modern tents are light, easy to erect, and keep anoying bugs out.
Air mattresses are very comfortable too.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Paulie_P

Postby Paulie_P » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks guys for your responses. The loads to the tie-down rings should be able to handle a horizontal load as well as the verticle load as evidenced that not every tiedown is directly below the ring, because not every aircraft has thier rings in the same spot. Therefore some ropes may be out to the sides and forward, sometimes inward, depenting on where the tie-down is in relation to the aircraft. Second, the wing is designed to create a minimum of 2300 lbs of lift. To hold the aircraft down in heavy winds, the load factor of those rings should be about the same. 170 lbs split between the horizontal and vertical components, doesnt account for very much of the total load of what the ring is designed to hold. Also, even though designers keep weight in mind, load limits are usually then multiplied by 1.5 for the Ultimate Load limit as a fudgefactor.

Also, after camping for 30 years I have a number of tents and airmatresses from 1 person to 8 person. Nothing beats a hammock on a camping trip. Anyone who has one, knows what I mean. All this being said, I'm going to pass on this idea for now. I was just wondering if anyone has every done this with a Cessna, I've seen it done on other types of aircraft.
Thanks for all the input.
-Paul
Paul Pilipshen - Aviator
You can use my full name. I try not to write anything I wouldn't stand behind.

Return to “Aviation Answers”