Legs or Ankles

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Legs or Ankles

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 am

Watching this cool firebomber video over in another section of the forums...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1848&p=11670#p11670

... got me to thinking.

Like others I loved the shots of a cool airplane doing some real flying. One thing that really caught my attention though was how large were the control inputs that they were making. Lots of very large deflections. Given the flight environment it makes sense when you think about it.

One specific thing I noticed was the couple of shots of the feet moving the rudder pedals. Heels up off the deck, pushing the pedals with his whole legs. It got me to wondering. When YOU'RE flying in a rudder-intensive situation, eg. landing, how do YOU operate the rudders? With your ankles or your legs? (One datapoint: I had an instructor once who kept poking me to keep my heels on the deck, so that my toes didn't unintentionally operate the brakes while on the ground.)

Thoughts?

// Jack

Laminar

Re: Legs or Ankles

Postby Laminar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:48 pm

For me, it's mostly ankles, but it has been a long time since I flew something with a heavy rudder.

If only I could get rid of the bad habit of pushing on both pedals at the same time. (It doesn't do anything, I know.)

tdukerich

Postby tdukerich » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Both of the aircraft I fly are rudder needy, an ASW20C sailplane and a Cessna 170. The 20 has a very reclined seating position and lifting heels would be awkward and uncomfortable. The 170 is completely different. For landing, heels up but only toes on the pedals. The rudder on the 170 is so large that it is best to keep the a "light and active" foot. If I stop making slight pressure movements, I fall behind.
Tom Dukerich
ASW-20C OD2
Cessna 170B

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 am

Ankles in the air, legs on landing.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Aviation Answers”