An Aussie PPL looking to get US certificated.

Ask your aviation questions here and get answers from other Listeners and maybe even one of the UCAP gang. Questions can be serious ones or just trivia.
OzWaiex

An Aussie PPL looking to get US certificated.

Postby OzWaiex » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:31 pm

G'day from downunder

I am 51 year old strictly day VFR Australian pilot with approximately 350 hours over the last 10 years in primarily C172, C182 and Decathlons. I have a tail wheel and constant speed endorsement and am currently building a Waiex.

I am going to Oshkosh this year, was also over for the 2007 and 2011 shows. However am planning on spending a longer time in US this trip and wanted to get my Australian Private Pilots Licence converted to a US pilots certificate.

I am generally aware of the requisite FAA and CASA (Aust. Civil Avaition Safety Authority) paper work, the ~90 day lead time and front up at FSDO for photographs etc. side of getting a US flight certificate. As I understand it once I get the licence "all" I need a biannual check flight (BFR?)

Being a prudent pilot I want to get some serious "local" training and instruction with a view to doing some air touring around the US either on this trip or the next in 2015.

My current timing would be arrive in USA, from Australia on Thursday 17th July, 2014, rest and recover on the Friday and then spend Saturday 19th thru to Wednesday 23rd with an instructor. Given past experience I will still be recovering on the Saturday and Sunday so will start out slow and ramp up towards the Wednesday. Then picking my wife up from (ORD or LAX - depending where the I do the training) before driving to Osh. I am flying over a week earlier.

My best guess would be 10 ~ 15 hours of briefings and ground discussion and a similar, or greater amount of time flying, but would be guided by the instructor(s) as to the best way forward to meet USA standards.

I am very keen on the OpenAirplane concept so anyone that can give some feedback their registered flight schools would be a good start. However recommendations from almost anywhere in the US would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Peter Eedy

champguy

Re: An Aussie PPL looking to get US certificated.

Postby champguy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:04 pm

3rd class medical?
Or go for "Sport Pilot" and need drivers license? Wonder if an Aussie license qualifies.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

OzWaiex

Postby OzWaiex » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi Champguy

I have a class 2 ICAO medical, but it is special issuance, need a cardiologist's and a rheumatologist's report every year. My understanding is that if it is current then it should be ok for the US medical certification.

Sport pilot would be fine, but not sure how many hire aircraft are available?

Thanks, Peter E.

Aerco

Postby Aerco » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:29 pm

I am not sure you'd need to "convert" your license for a short visit at all. Aren't all ICAO members supposed to recognize each others licenses? When a Qantas plane spends a few days in the US, the Australian crew does it on their Australian licenses. There seems to be a lot of contradictory advice out there, do we have an expert here?

Return to “Aviation Answers”